Chaetomorpha Dying

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea Reefer 170 that has been running for about 7 months. I am using a hang-on refugium for Chaeto: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/medi...um-with-led-ligthing-system-cpr-aquatics.html with this additional light mounted in the middle of the back:

Twice now, my chaeto turned to mush. The first time was probably because my tank was too new. But for the past few months it was growing fine and I had to harvest it once. Today I discovered it was dead.

Do you think NO3 of 10-12 and PO4 0.04-0.08 is high enough? (I noticed my nitrates rising to 15-20 recently and I suspect it is from the dead algae.) I do occasionally dose with iron and iodine.
I run the circulating pump at highest speed but still wonder if there is enough flow.

Thanks for helping.

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. Those parameters are fine for growing Chaeto.

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their website has the same info as the bottle: https://www.brightwellaquatics.com/products/chaeto-gro.php

Technical Background
Nutrients are substances required by algae for survival; they are collectively involved in all aspects of the biological and chemical reactions that allow algae to function properly. Brightwell Aquatics ChaetoGro provides these substances in concentrations found by researchers to be necessary for long-term health. These elements, and some of the processes that they are involved in, are:

Potassium - Protein synthesis, water and charge balance, enzyme activation.
Boron - Chlorophyll production, flowering, root growth, cell function.
Carbon - Required for all organic compounds.
Calcium - Cell wall stability and permeability, enzyme activation, cell response to stimuli.
Chlorine - Water and charge balance, photosynthesis.
Iron - Required for photosynthesis, component of enzymes utilized in redox reactions.
Magnesium - Component of chlorophyll, enzyme activation.
Manganese - Formation of amino acids, enzyme activation.
Molybdenum and Cobalt - Required for nitrate reduction.
Nickel - Enzyme activation, processing of nitrogenous material.
Sulfur - Component of proteins and the coenzymes that are involved with nutrient utilization and growth.
Zinc - Chlorophyll production, enzyme activation.

ChaetoGro does not contain phosphorus or nitrogen

Back