Chalice coral help!

Phish2coralreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time posting here first off! Intermediate hobbyist, but not much experience with these chalice corals. After a while of consideration I decided to branch out and try a few new things. Everything in my tank is stable and healthy (I can post all parameters later if needed) but I picked up this chalice frag from a Lfs a couple weeks ago and it was as bright and healthy as it should be.

Well now it has white around the edges and to me looks like it's also losing color. So my confusion is if this is bleaching or just completely losing color due to lack of light. (or other possibilities) Its about midway up the tank right now. (Started on sandbed) I have moved it back to the bottom and am trying to decide on increasing light or decreasing light as I am almost positive that is the issue whatever way it might be.

Alk- 11.2 usually very stable.
Nitrate- .4 stable
Snapchat-1664474310.jpg

Phosphate- .12
Ca- 450
Mg- 1400

OP
OP
Phish2coralreef

Phish2coralreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 2 cents, more nitrate
I had a phosphate and nitrate issue and was dosing nopox for a couple weeks but have since stopped. They have gone back up slowly, so that is something I am trying to do as well. Thank you!

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of light are you using and how deep is your tank? Having high alk and low nutrients can burn a coral easily. I would move it to low light and low flow and hope it recovers. A lot if the times when chalices start receding like that they rarely make a come back but it is possible.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
lower alk,cut off dead ,high flow

OP
OP
Phish2coralreef

Phish2coralreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks more like tissue recession rather than bleaching. I can see the skeleton on the edge. I think you should increase your nitrates. Your nutrients seem very unbalanced.
I am also in the process of doing this. It has been slowly increasing since I stopped dosing the nopox for that reason. Just needed to get my phosphate back under control, so obviously it took my nitrate down with it.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back