Chalice...glue it to a rock or place on sand

Pikemartin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a frag chalice which is currently glued my LR on the bottom of my tank. Question is should I have left it glued on the frag which in turn is glued to a piece of LR? Or should I have taken it off and placed on the bed or directly glued it to the LR?

Thanks guys

choff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think it matters either way. I only have 2 chalices and one is glued to a low rock in my tank is doing fantastic. My other is new and on the plug in the sand for now.

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chalices when they grow can attach to the live rock making it impossible to trim or move them. However sometimes they form a "chalice" shape and do not attach to the rock, it's just impossible to predict the growth pattern.

I have put a large very thin piece of d-d epoxy gently draped over live rock and then the following day after it has cured, glued the chalice directly to the epoxy. It then gives the option of lifting the epoxy off the live rock for either trimming or moving the chalice. You do have to eventually lift the epoxy/chalice off the live rock because it will eventually expand beyond the epoxy and then potentially adhere directly onto the live rock

This is a picture of chalices growing on the epoxy and probably onto the live rock because I forget to lift it once in a while

All of these chalices were glued as small frags to the d-d epoxy and have grown and should be removable from the live rock. These chalices range from an inch or two all the way to six inches or so and have been growing in the tank for a while

Here is a small chalice frag glued onto d-d epoxy outlined by the yellow dots, kind of.

Last edited:

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a good idea to remove new frags from their disks before you put them into your tank or QT. The plugs are great hiding spots for pests. Whether you put it onto live rock or a new plug doesn't matter to the coral. I use prices of live rock rubble to attach chalices to. I think it looks more natural than a perfect circle. Then I can attach the live rock to the aquascapers and still be able to remove it to to frag or relocate to a more suitable niche.

choff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch guy, that's an awesome idea. I'll add I wish I removed the plug from my chalice because it's deforming the look of the chalice too. I'll forever see the plug shape in the chalice.

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im about to do this with some of my favorite chalice. What are the white fish in these pics? Its rare when i don't know what kind of fish something is. Are these brackish converted to full salt?

Those are indeed brackish fish, Scats. They were introduced to eat aiptasia which they will eat. However, they much prefer fish food over aiptasia and so did not work out, I removed them from the tank after a few months.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 136 41.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 165 49.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 30 9.1%
Back