Chalice in a Biocube?

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What all display tanks do you currently have?
Salt- 20 peninsula, 25 lagoon, 45 lagoon

Fresh- 10 planted crystal shrimp breeder, 10 planted betta fish, 210 arowana + etc big red fish, 90 planted grow out for fish destined for the 210 so they don’t get eaten by the arowana

Galliente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been offered a beautiful chalice frag from a friend. Obviously I don't want to accept it unless I can provide for its needs. According to Than at Tidal Gardens chalices need about 100 PAR lighting. I have a stock 32 LED Biocube and don't have a PAR meter nor access to one at a LFS. I currently have thriving LPS and softies. Has any had success (thrive, not survive) with a chalice in a stock LED Biocube? Appreciate and suggestions and/or advice.
Here is what I found from someone who used a par meter on a stock biocube .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201222-225104_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201222-225104_Chrome.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 42

Galliente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video. I'm with you. I never understood all the hate with the stock lights. The natural go to was never try other lights. I grew sps in my biocube as well. Monti/ birdsnest. Etc.

My complaint was about the white intensity on the stock lights not their ability. Seemed to wash out some fluorescence over time.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chalices are very forgiving of wide ranges of par in my experience. They seem to have a sweet spot for color/growth to be ideal, but will grow in wide range.

I actually had a miami hurricane chalice that a torch fell on overnight(stupid turbo snail homewreckers). The chalice was pretty much a goner i dipped it in iodine but almost all flesh flesh was gone, so gave it zero chance of survival.l and tossed it in sump with rubble cause it was on a decent sized rock. Weeks later i noticed it was alive and very bleached out but growing. Had been surviving on spillover red light from refugium chamber!

OP
OP
CavalierReef

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video. I'm with you. I never understood all the hate with the stock lights. The natural go to was never try other lights. I grew sps in my biocube as well. Monti/ birdsnest. Etc.

My complaint was about the white intensity on the stock lights not their ability. Seemed to wash out some fluorescence over time.
Thanks for the video. My 32 Biocube is 9 months old and hammers, frogspawn have done well. I now have pipe organ and candycane on the sand growing and healthy. I also have a birdsnest that was on death's door from a fellow reefer and it has recovered and is growing within 2 months in my tank. And of course xenia growing to worrisome proportions. But I still don't have that chalice.
Aquarium 9 month anniversary - Feb 3_edited.jpg

SaltFishTV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That’s true
Thanks for the video. My 32 Biocube is 9 months old and hammers, frogspawn have done well. I now have pipe organ and candycane on the sand growing and healthy. I also have a birdsnest that was on death's door from a fellow reefer and it has recovered and is growing within 2 months in my tank. And of course xenia growing to worrisome proportions. But I still don't have that chalice.
Aquarium 9 month anniversary - Feb 3_edited.jpg
Looks awesome!!

Galliente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my lights are on, my blues are on. Seems the "washed out" issue is less intense. Still I have some coral which will never have the fluorescent quality they had in the dealer's tank unless I change the lighting.
100 % agree I had my white on only 7 hrs blue the rest. A month after upgrading corals started to pick up the colors again

SaltFishTV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my lights are on, my blues are on. Seems the "washed out" issue is less intense. Still I have some coral which will never have the fluorescent quality they had in the dealer's tank unless I change the lighting.
100 % agree I had my white on only 7 hrs blue the rest. A month after upgrading corals started to pick up the colors again
Yeah, spectrum does play a big role in coloration to include many other factors, but for stock it ain’t all too bad.

Back