Chalice looking funky

lucas9t5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chalice Skeleton is showing/ tissue is receding on edge and also on 1 spot in the middle of the coral. I have the it placed at the bottom of the rock work. Low flow.

0 ammonia
0 nitrite
10 nitrate
Ph 8.3
Alk 8.1
Calc 460
Mag 1500
Phos 0.02

03920E57-DB39-4D20-88D6-86ED342F95C0.jpeg

Last edited:

Ken101Ward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I'll be the a$$hole here. Maybe a hobbist who would make this kind of post does not know how to keep this coral happy. Please look into how to properly pose your question so you could possibly receive some useful help in return. TIA.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the better pic. To be honest it doesn’t look good.
How long have you had it?
Your numbers look fine….. do you have other corals? Are they ok?

OP
OP
L

lucas9t5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the better pic. To be honest it doesn’t look good.
How long have you had it?
Your numbers look fine….. do you have other corals? Are they ok?
Yeah it looks terrible I’ve had it for almost a month everything else looks fine it did have some brown hair looking like algae on it so I took it out today and took a soft sponge to it and tried to get it off looks way better than before with that on it. But idk if that grew because that part died or if that’s what caused it to recede. Only thing I haven’t tried yet is moving it to another lower light spot or taking it and dipping it

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it looks terrible I’ve had it for almost a month everything else looks fine it did have some brown hair looking like algae on it so I took it out today and took a soft sponge to it and tried to get it off looks way better than before with that on it. But idk if that grew because that part died or if that’s what caused it to recede. Only thing I haven’t tried yet is moving it to another lower light spot or taking it and dipping it
Brown algae is a coral pooping or expelling guts usually :s

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the par currently? Best guess if you have no par meter or at least let us know what lights you're using and setting.
Low flow is not good enough. Medium is better. My tank currently is high flow and all the chalice are loving it.
PO4 needs a bump up. 0.02 is low, too close to being zero. Either dose a little or better to feed more pellets or flake food or reef roids.

EDIT;
What do you mean brown algae, can you post a pic of a whole tank? I'm just curious because your po4 is close to zero and brown algae makes me wonder what else is going on.

neo1738

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the "brown algae" on it was the xooa expelling. Not a good sign at all. Likely lighting is to blame if all else is normal and no other corals nearby to sting it.

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always put chalices in the lower, or outer edges of the tank in direct light -not shaded. You need enough flow so anything that lands on them is blown off. The only time I’ve had an entire collection recede to nothing is with Dinos.

I’d pull that out and dip. Also are you feeding? I like to turn off the flow and drop a couple pellets on them when feeding the fish. They will eat. Also some shrimp like peppermint or crabs can bother them.

sometimes it’s nothing you did at all…

Back