Chalices are Burned/Bleaching/Melting?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Krazysvede
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Krazysvede

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 14, 2010
Messages
14
Reaction score
4
Location
Phoenix, AZ
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple chalices that look pretty bad all of a sudden, the Purple Urkle and the Watermelon in the foreground. Params look normal, all other chalices and SPS look fine. There are a couple with white patches on them in the last 2 days or so. Under 6x T5 w/ Led supplement. The tissue isn't gone, just appears to have been stung/burned or something and is transparent. Nothing is close but other chalices and they have been fine for 8/9 months. Should I dip in something? I have Revive, CoralRX and Bayer on hand.

Mg - 1400, 1380 (Salifert/Red Sea)
Ca - 420, 430 (Salifert/Red Sea)
Alk - 8.4, 8.1, 8.3 (Salifert/Red Sea/Hanna)
N04 - 3 - 5ppm (Nyos)
PO4 - Unmeasureable (Hanna)



 
You can do a Iodine bath to heal up infections. It helps me out when needed.
 
Thanks Salty1962.

I went ahead and dipped all 3 last night. I've never dipped chalices in anything but Bayer so I tried doing 1 in Revive, 1 in CoralRX and 1 in Lugols. All were dipped for 5 minutes, rinsed and put back in the tank in low light and flow. We will see how they recover.
 
I had a nitrate spike that started the same issue with my hollywood stunner chalices. I dipped in Lugol's for 30 minutes, and that stopped the tissue loss in it's tracks.
 
I had a nitrate spike that started the same issue with my hollywood stunner chalices. I dipped in Lugol's for 30 minutes, and that stopped the tissue loss in it's tracks.

Thanks!I was unsure how long they could go in the dips as I don't have much LPS experience. How much Lugols did you use? I used 4 drops in a quarter gallon of water for 5 minutes. Think I under dosed?
 
Thanks!I was unsure how long they could go in the dips as I don't have much LPS experience. How much Lugols did you use? I used 4 drops in a quarter gallon of water for 5 minutes. Think I under dosed?
I added enough Lugol's to make the water look like iced tea (probably a couple of droppersful) :) If the tissue loss continues, you can always redip.
 
Keep an eye on them. If the bleaching progresses, you can frag off the bleached part. Usually helps save the chalice.

They might need more nutrients.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.2%
Free Phyto Promo
Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed
Shop Now Code: FREEPHYTO
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new