Changing 100% of my rock journey - no curing - with pictures.

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I thought I'd document my journey changing out 100% of my live rock on an established mature tank (2yrs, 9mo old). I looked for threads on this and while I got a few hits - they weren't conclusive and sometimes contradictory (welcome to the hobby). Let's start at the beginning - my rocks were too high, leptastrea and mushrooms had invaded, corals were too crowded and killing each other, and it was a poor use of space in general for a small tank. Here's what it looked like before:
1.jpg

Of primary concern was the fact that it was a bare bottom tank, and what would happen if I pulled all the live rock and replaced it? Would I be at risk of an ammonia spike? I could have rigged up a bucket and some pumps and cured the rock, but it's a really small tank. I decided to take the risk and just replace it.

I did a couple of things: 1) I stopped scraping the glass for a few weeks and let it get funky. 2) I left a good chunk of filter floss in the media basket and didn't change it for a week. 3) I mixed up a bunch of salt water in case of emergency - enough for two full 100% water changes. Short version: no spikes. Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate wise - the tank operated without skipping a beat. Here's what it looked like right after the change:
2.jpg
3.jpg

Under whites:
4.jpg

So cycling wise - nothing to worry about. However, within three days - I had kicked off an entirely new ugly phase cycle. It was as if the tank had just been set up. No diatoms - interesting - I expcted them to show up for a hot minute. Instead, first came the dinos - (I've struggled with dinos in the past - but I haven't seen them in over a year now). To be honest, I was a little dismayed at first.

5.jpg

Yes it's dinos. Same ones I struggled with way back when. I believe a combination of prorocentrum and SA. I scoped them. It got snotty, strings and bubbles and all. I kind of wondered the effects of removing all the nooks and crannies of the live rock - I think this is the answer - I maintained my bacterial populations on the tank walls and back chambers, but lost probably all of my micro crustaceans. So I tossed in a jar of pods and let it ride. I didn't even clean it off the rocks - took a 100% hands off approach. No change in lights.

Flash forward a week, the dinos are subsiding. I'd say they are reduced 75% from their peak and the snot strings are gone. In their place, cyano is now breaking out. One spot pretty bad near a monti setosa, but also little spots breaking out all over the tank - mostly where the dinos have disappeared the most. Interesting development since I've never once had cyano in this tank.

Full shot 2 weeks since the rock work replacement:
6.jpg

Biggest Cyano patch:
7.jpg

Dinos receding - comparison shot: (you can see the little red/purple cyano spots breaking out to the right of the base of the torch)
8.jpg

TLDR: it seems that in a mature tank, it's pretty hard to kick off a new nitrogen cycle. There's enough bacteria around on the walls and sump/back chambers to keep things working normal. What does happen though is a new ugly phase, and the major disturbance will bring back old problems and tank imbalances. However, being a mature tank - it seems to work through these phases rather quickly. Tank "rematured" in two weeks what took months prior.

I'll update this thread weekly and I'll document the results. Feel free to ask questions or hijack the thread with your own results. It's all in an effort at sharing information and learning (and this topic isn't well covered IMO). The safest bet is probably to cure the rock in the sump, and replace pieces of it over time. But for those of us with nanos and no sump, sometimes your options are limited.

Thanks
Kongar

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following.

I'm contemplating a 50 percent rock swap to get rid of mushrooms. I'm going to soak my dry rock in old tank water for a month....I have the time, probably do the swap in February.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, what part of the tank are you referring to as having maturity if it's a barebottom tank and you took out all the rock? Also, maybe it's just that i can't see them in the pics but i didn't notice any fish...where would the ammonia be coming from to cause a spike??

OP
OP
Kongar

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, what part of the tank are you referring to as having maturity if it's a barebottom tank and you took out all the rock? Also, maybe it's just that i can't see them in the pics but i didn't notice any fish...where would the ammonia be coming from to cause a spike??
Maturity meaning the tank is almost 3 years old. It’s pretty stable. Coraline algae grows like crazy, the parameters and dosing are dialed in, and nothing really changes population wise. Same amount of snails, sponges, algae, pests, etc. Its pretty much on auto pilot, and to be honest - is still on autopilot despite the massive disruption.

Fish wise there’s two clowns about 2.5 inches each, a royal gramma, a cleaner shrimp, two trochus snails, an urchin, two hermits, a few ceriths, and about 100,000 limpet snails. I’d say the tank is adequately stocked. I COULD add another fish but I’d probably have too much bio load once the clowns get full grown.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maturity meaning the tank is almost 3 years old. It’s pretty stable. Coraline algae grows like crazy, the parameters and dosing are dialed in, and nothing really changes population wise. Same amount of snails, sponges, algae, pests, etc. Its pretty much on auto pilot, and to be honest - is still on autopilot despite the massive disruption.

Fish wise there’s two clowns about 2.5 inches each, a royal gramma, a cleaner shrimp, two trochus snails, an urchin, two hermits, a few ceriths, and about 100,000 limpet snails. I’d say the tank is adequately stocked. I COULD add another fish but I’d probably have too much bio load once the clowns get full grown.
Is your urchin wearing a road cone? Is it part of the reconstruction crew?

Bluedore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did the same rock swop a few days ago, bare bottom and pulled all the old rocks out and put in new Tampa bay live rock shipped in water. So far everything is good but the phosphate went from around .05 to .15.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did the same rock swop a few days ago, bare bottom and pulled all the old rocks out and put in new Tampa bay live rock shipped in water. So far everything is good but the phosphate went from around .05 to .15.
I wouldn't do a rock swap on an established system without real live rock either. It seems like it would be greatly beneficial to use live rock for a swap, especially in a barebottom tank. Not surprising your phosphates increased a little though. What about the nitrates?

OP
OP
Kongar

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably from die off would be my guess. I tested phosphates before and two weeks after. No noticeable change. I often hear dry rock leeches phosphates. So far no evidence of that.

Bluedore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably from die off would be my guess. I tested phosphates before and two weeks after. No noticeable change. I often hear dry rock leeches phosphates. So far no evidence of that.
Nitrates also almost double from 2.07 to 3.73, not sure if it’s from removing 90% of the Cato.

OP
OP
Kongar

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So happy belated holidays everyone. It's been TWO weeks since my last update. My apologies for missing last week's pictures - first I had the flu, then I tested positive for covid. I haven't moved far from the couch/bed in a couple of weeks. :(

So let's talk last week regardless. Honestly, there wasn't much change from the first batch of pictures. The dinos were still around, and had migrated across the tank towards the elegance coral. They had started fading at the original end. The cyano patch got about twice as big. Things did change quite a bit this week though - so three weeks of uglies, and progress on the 4th week.

So today was water change day. Let's start there. The water stunk - there's no nice way to put it. It was also very brown - much more so than usual. Pic next to some fresh water:
IMG_7986.jpg

The dinos are all but gone. There isn't much snot left - just a few strings here and there. I suspect that's why the water is so stinky and brown. The cyano seems to have disappeared completely. In fact, it happened overnight. There was a giant brown snot ball floating in the overflow and I never saw the cyano again. Just to reiterate, I didn't do anything like adding chemicals or cleaning extra. So all in all - pretty good progress so far.

Full tank shots with the whites on:
IMG_8001.jpg

IMG_8003.jpg

IMG_8002.jpg

Let's take a closer look.
IMG_8005.jpg

I haven't lost any corals, they are all doing well. Even that acan that I thought was dead is coming back to life. You can see this spot was the worst with dinos - now pretty much mostly gone.

In this next pic - you can see coraline algae has started sprouting up everywhere. This started about the beginning of week 4.
IMG_8006.jpg

Here's where the cyano was the worst - 100% gone
IMG_8004.jpg

Lastly, the euphyllia up front. All doing well. I have noticed bryopsis and bubble algae again - two pest algae I've struggled with in the past. I imagine in a few weeks I'm going to have to deal with those somehow, tough to do in a nano in my experience. Whatever, we'll cross that bridge when we get there. The good thing about this rockwork is that everything is easy to remove, so I'll be able to take the rocks out and scrub nuisance algae away easier.
IMG_7995.jpg

IMG_7993.jpg

So far - a success. We'll see what happens as we go. See you next week!

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I am literally in the process of doing this exact thing. Which is kind of a coincidence because I feel like we have the same tank too? I have the 20g innovative marine peninsula and yours looks exactly like it. I’m replacing all my rocks at once with two little fishies stax rocks. They are currently 2 weeks into their cycle in a separate bin.

Did you cycle your rocks in a separate bin or go right for it? Also how are things going? Any coral/fish loss? I’m literally terrified to do the swap

OP
OP
Kongar

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you cycle your rocks in a separate bin or go right for it? Also how are things going? Any coral/fish loss? I’m literally terrified to do the swap
I'll update tonight with some recent pictures of the tank. It's doing great! It never skipped a beat. In fact, I'd argue things are better since I changed the rock - I can't explain why. Better flow maybe? There have been no fish or coral losses. I've added in a few new pieces of sps and they are adjusting fine as well.

Nothing was cured at all - I pulled the old rock 100% and put in rinsed bone white dry rock. I left in dirtier than normal filter media for a week, and purposely stopped scraping the glass. I figured that was enough to reseed the tank without going through another nitrogen cycle. It was. In fact, I still haven't scraped the glass - it's covered in coraline. The rock is now fairly covered in coraline, but not 100%.

There was no nitrate cycle that I could see from testing, but the uglies / algae cycle did happen again. I went through it all including a bit of dinos, more cyano than I've ever seen, and eventually a flare up of hair algae, bubble algae, and bryopsis. Same exact "stuff" that was in my tank prior - they just all went through their flare up, and then they went through their die off phase.

I added more CUC during the algae bloom - I'm rocking quite a few more snails, and I finally got lucky with an emerald crab - this one actually likes eating bryopsis, hair algae, and bubble algae over the fish food. it never really got out of hand - little spots of algae that popped up and never really continued to grow. Coral color has improved - again, can't explain why - more vibrant.

I'll post pics as it is, then I'll finally get in there with gloves, scrape the glass and try to post a "isn't she beautiful" picture. Sort of a real world shot and a "pretty pic for the forum" shot.

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll update tonight with some recent pictures of the tank. It's doing great! It never skipped a beat. In fact, I'd argue things are better since I changed the rock - I can't explain why. Better flow maybe? There have been no fish or coral losses. I've added in a few new pieces of sps and they are adjusting fine as well.

Nothing was cured at all - I pulled the old rock 100% and put in rinsed bone white dry rock. I left in dirtier than normal filter media for a week, and purposely stopped scraping the glass. I figured that was enough to reseed the tank without going through another nitrogen cycle. It was. In fact, I still haven't scraped the glass - it's covered in coraline. The rock is now fairly covered in coraline, but not 100%.

There was no nitrate cycle that I could see from testing, but the uglies / algae cycle did happen again. I went through it all including a bit of dinos, more cyano than I've ever seen, and eventually a flare up of hair algae, bubble algae, and bryopsis. Same exact "stuff" that was in my tank prior - they just all went through their flare up, and then they went through their die off phase.

I added more CUC during the algae bloom - I'm rocking quite a few more snails, and I finally got lucky with an emerald crab - this one actually likes eating bryopsis, hair algae, and bubble algae over the fish food. it never really got out of hand - little spots of algae that popped up and never really continued to grow. Coral color has improved - again, can't explain why - more vibrant.

I'll post pics as it is, then I'll finally get in there with gloves, scrape the glass and try to post a "isn't she beautiful" picture. Sort of a real world shot and a "pretty pic for the forum" shot.
I’ll have to leave my filter floss in for a week before I do the change. I used similar rocks for mine - two little fishes collab with Marco rocks called stax. I didn’t cure either but I am cycling them in a separate bin for the nitrogen cycle. I have a sand bed though that I am hoping will help with the transition! My tank is only 7months old

Sounds like you hit the jackpot with that emerald crab! I have lots of bubble algae so I ordered one. I have bryopsis too but I am buying a treatment for that.

Did you remove your fish and cuc while doing the rock swap? If so, what did their temporary set up look like?

I’m excited to see the pictures!

OP
OP
Kongar

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you hit the jackpot with that emerald crab! I have lots of bubble algae so I ordered one. I have bryopsis too but I am buying a treatment for that.

Did you remove your fish and cuc while doing the rock swap? If so, what did their temporary set up look like?

I’m excited to see the pictures!
  1. don't get too excited - my tank stinks compared to most
  2. I did get lucky with that emerald crab - I almost had a heart attack when I saw it munching on bryopsis. My last two crabs ate only fishfood, and died for I-don't-know-why reasons. I figured I'd try one more time and got lucky. It DID take a chunk out of an acan too, but only once - mustn't have tasted very good.
  3. I didn't remove any fish. No temporary setup. They are used to me in the tank, and they didn't care that I was moving their home around. They all found new corals to live in and are fine.
  4. I just realized it was Dec when I started this. Doesn't seem that long ago.

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  1. don't get too excited - my tank stinks compared to most
  2. I did get lucky with that emerald crab - I almost had a heart attack when I saw it munching on bryopsis. My last two crabs ate only fishfood, and died for I-don't-know-why reasons. I figured I'd try one more time and got lucky. It DID take a chunk out of an acan too, but only once - mustn't have tasted very good.
  3. I didn't remove any fish. No temporary setup. They are used to me in the tank, and they didn't care that I was moving their home around. They all found new corals to live in and are fine.
  4. I just realized it was Dec when I started this. Doesn't seem that long ago.
It looks nice from the pictures! I also appreciate you documented this because as your original post says - there really isn’t much on a full rock swap. My emerald crab should be coming in soon so I hope it’s nice too haha. I’ll have to move my fish because I don’t want to squish anyone haha. I’ll let you go how my switchover goes once they are done cycling!

twelvefive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did this end up working out?

OP
OP
Kongar

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a bit late but I did say I’d update with pictures. Zero problems with the rock swap. The coraline has covered everything now, and was actually why I was late with the pictures. I couldn’t find a scraper tough enough to get it off the glass. Found a good stainless steel one this weekend and got the glass back under control. Little bit of bubble algae, little bit of bryopsis-those are my permanent pest algae. Fish and corals doing good. Still working on getting my flow right with the new rockwork - cost me two of the three acros I bought recently - but all the existing corals are good. Even the one that was almost dead has come back.

IMG_8467.jpeg
IMG_8462.jpeg
IMG_8460.jpeg

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a bit late but I did say I’d update with pictures. Zero problems with the rock swap. The coraline has covered everything now, and was actually why I was late with the pictures. I couldn’t find a scraper tough enough to get it off the glass. Found a good stainless steel one this weekend and got the glass back under control. Little bit of bubble algae, little bit of bryopsis-those are my permanent pest algae. Fish and corals doing good. Still working on getting my flow right with the new rockwork - cost me two of the three acros I bought recently - but all the existing corals are good. Even the one that was almost dead has come back.

IMG_8467.jpeg
IMG_8462.jpeg
IMG_8460.jpeg
Amazing!! Mine ended up going smoothly as well. I forgot to put a picture of my tank as an update but here it is now:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back