Changing a Rio180 to salty

Sinhuit

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 1, 2026
Messages
2
Reaction score
1
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the near future changing a Rio 180 over to salty. I have had a marine tank in the past and have cycled many aquariums. My question is about lighting I have a Helialux 1000 which is ideal for plants and Fish I don't intend to keep any difficult corals just shrooms leathers etc is the lighting I have ok or do I need to upgrade ? I was looking at the Helialux Spectrum or a Multiflux setup.
 
Last edited:
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

#WelcometoR2R

If your fixture is for freshwater planted tanks, it should have the energy to grow at least low light corals, though the color temp is likely 6500K and most reef tanks use lighting that's at least 10,000K and higher. So, the color temp may not look quite right, but if that doesn't bother you then you can use your existing light. You could also embrace more of a tidal system were lower color temp lights are commonly used.

Good luck!
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

#WelcometoR2R

If your fixture is for freshwater planted tanks, it should have the energy to grow at least low light corals, though the color temp is likely 6500K and most reef tanks use lighting that's at least 10,000K and higher. So, the color temp may not look quite right, but if that doesn't bother you then you can use your existing light. You could also embrace more of a tidal system were lower color temp lights are commonly used.

Good luck!
Cool I was looking at putting some macro algae on the right and have a reef to the left and back/
 
Cool I was looking at putting some macro algae on the right and have a reef to the left and back/
Macro algae would both grow well and look nice under a freshwater planted light fixture 🙂
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 21.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 29.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 13.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new