Changing from Canister to Sump

stuccoman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55gl. reef that has been up an running for 13 months. Filtration is; live rock, a canister and a hang on back protein skimmer. We are, the wife and I, setting up a fresh water planted. I was thinking of switching the canister in the reef tank to a sump and moving the canister to the fresh. Can it be done? What kind of issues can I expect? Should I just leave everything alone? Water parameter are steady, corals are growing and looking good, fish look great. All advice appreciated.
IMG_7354.JPG

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you going to install an overflow in that tank since it is already running? are you going to take it down and drill a hole out and install an overflow? or add a hang on the back overflow to connect to the sump? that's really tricky to do with a tank that's doing well. I personally would buy a new tank that is the same size and set that up with a new sump and then move everything over from the current tank to your new tank.

ReefRy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, it can be done. Hob overflow, sump, return pump, skimmer, (u.v., a.t.o.) you're probably looking at close to $1000. I had the same dilemma and decided if I was going to spend that kind of money I was going to do it right and start with a drilled tank.

OP
OP
S

stuccoman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you going to install an overflow in that tank since it is already running? are you going to take it down and drill a hole out and install an overflow? or add a hang on the back overflow to connect to the sump? that's really tricky to do with a tank that's doing well. I personally would buy a new tank that is the same size and set that up with a new sump and then move everything over from the current tank to your new tank.
Would have to go with the hang on the back overflow. The more I think about it I think I will just ride out the reef set up now and see what happens. Don't fix it if it aint broke.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back