Changing HOB Filter to Internal Filter with Same Media

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been toying with the idea of changing my filter types but keeping the actual filter media so I don’t break the tank cycle. Currently, I have a Marineland Penguin Biowheel 150 Hob. I’m looking to switch into an internal filter that I can just install a wave maker to make it easier on the fish. The 150 takes a “B” filter. What do you suggest for a 20g high tank? The filter itself is hinting by a slight noise that it could breakdown so I’m looking at options before it does anything. Would really like to try an internal filter if I can switch it over safely and use my same filter media. What would happen if I did buy a new filter but placed a new filter in front of my old one (to the front before filtered water exits back to tank) to get cycled bacteria on it? Will it transfer over so I don’t have to recycle or will I still have to cycle it as if brand new? What are your thoughts? I know this is big question that could have a variety of answers but I need some help on how not to crash my tank and whether it’s safe to switch filters. The tank is going on 9 months around the 16th or 19th. I don’t have a sub pump or protein skimmers. I might be able to install a protein skimmer if it’s really beneficial without adding an extra tank. I’ve seen a few under $100 that look decent. My tank is just FOWLR. Anyone recommend an internal filter under $100?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your question, no, it wont crash your tank. There is very little bacteria on that filter, most of the bacteria is in the rocks and sand. All biofiltration takes place with rocks and sand and water flow, mechanical filters offer nothing for biofilter.

Please don't take it the wrong way, but I think you will just go from inefficient to inefficient. I have a 5 , a 15, and 20 gallon tanks all going with just powerheads and rocks and weekly water changes. They are all older than a year.

Really no need to spend $100 on an internal filter, better to save for a skimmer which provides much more benefit than any hob/canister/internal filter can.

Sometimes I use a hob filter on my softie tank to run carbon, but otherwise, a hob or internal filter brings very little benefit, and it takes a lot of space on the small tank, and frankly its an eyesore.

Just my 2 cents

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your question, no, it wont crash your tank. There is very little bacteria on that filter, most of the bacteria is in the rocks and sand. All biofiltration takes place with rocks and sand and water flow, mechanical filters offer nothing for biofilter.

Please don't take it the wrong way, but I think you will just go from inefficient to inefficient. I have a 5 , a 15, and 20 gallon tanks all going with just powerheads and rocks and weekly water changes. They are all older than a year.

Really no need to spend $100 on an internal filter, better to save for a skimmer which provides much more benefit than any hob/canister/internal filter can.

Sometimes I use a hob filter on my softie tank to run carbon, but otherwise, a hob or internal filter brings very little benefit, and it takes a lot of space on the small tank, and frankly its an eyesore.

Just my 2 cents
So I can use a skimmer instead of all the filters? What size should I aim for? Honestly that’s another reason I want to switch to something that takes less room. I was always told you never change the filters unless they go totally rancid.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I can use a skimmer instead of all the filters? What size should I aim for? Honestly that’s another reason I want to switch to something that takes less room. I was always told you never change the filters unless they go totally rancid.
the filter is important on freshwater tanks, but they don't matter on saltwater tanks. google "the berlin method" to learn about how biofiltration works on a salt tank. Its just rocks and flow thats needed to keep everything alive, its very interesting.

A skimmer will be your choice, like I said its not really needed. If you do get one, I would suggest something rated for 50 gallons, they perform better than the "nano" skimmers, I've tried a couple of nano skimmers, they are more trouble than they are worth IMO. There is not much difference in cost between a nano skimmer and a 50 gallon skimmer, and plus if you ever decide to upgrade then you already have the skimmer.

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the filter is important on freshwater tanks, but they don't matter on saltwater tanks. google "the berlin method" to learn about how biofiltration works on a salt tank. Its just rocks and flow thats needed to keep everything alive, its very interesting.

A skimmer will be your choice, like I said its not really needed. If you do get one, I would suggest something rated for 50 gallons, they perform better than the "nano" skimmers, I've tried a couple of nano skimmers, they are more trouble than they are worth IMO. There is not much difference in cost between a nano skimmer and a 50 gallon skimmer, and plus if you ever decide to upgrade then you already have the skimmer.
I’d rather prefer one that I don’t need a sump honestly. Do external ones need anything extra? I’ve never had one and when I first looked at them they kind of felt intimidating.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I use hob skimmer, you just set it on your tank and thats it, nothing else needed.
It is intimidating to start searching at first, if you have no experience.
Just take your time, its not urgent at all, weekly water changes will keep your tank healthy and clean, a skimmer is just a bonus.

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I use hob skimmer, you just set it on your tank and thats it, nothing else needed.
It is intimidating to start searching at first, if you have no experience.
Just take your time, its not urgent at all, weekly water changes will keep your tank healthy and clean, a skimmer is just a bonus.
Do they have a heavy water current back to the tank or do I still need a wave maker? My current filter is high powered enough that I don’t need it and actually had to use a part of a pop bottle to break the strength so it would disrupt the tank. I mean it took off with the bbs I added when turned on no matter if it was at the bottom of the tank. I feed bbs daily to supplement a little extra for the mandarin. The culture tank needs harvested tonight so he’ll be a happy boy. I need to get ahold a smaller sieve that catches only adults so I don’t over feed my pods unknowingly since you can’t see juveniles. I know it’s loaded big time.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they have a heavy water current back to the tank or do I still need a wave maker? My current filter is high powered enough that I don’t need it and actually had to use a part of a pop bottle to break the strength so it would disrupt the tank. I mean it took off with the bbs I added when turned on no matter if it was at the bottom of the tank. I feed bbs daily to supplement a little extra for the mandarin. The culture tank needs harvested tonight so he’ll be a happy boy. I need to get ahold a smaller sieve that catches only adults so I don’t over feed my pods unknowingly since you can’t see juveniles. I know it’s loaded big time.
no a skimmer doesnt really push water. Depending on what you have now, the suggested flow is minimum 10x turnover, so for your 20 gallon tank, you would aim for something around 100-150 gph, again minimum, more is usually better.

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no a skimmer doesnt really push water. Depending on what you have now, the suggested flow is minimum 10x turnover, so for your 20 gallon tank, you would aim for something around 100-150 gph, again minimum, more is usually better.
I just have an hob filter so nothing else was needed with how powerful this filter moved water

OP
OP
SeaHorseQueen

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering. I’m looking at protein skimmers and waiting a smidge but can I just attach my new wave maker and remove my filter until I get the skimmer in or should I just wait? I realize the bacteria is in the water and sand but how far down in the sand does it go? I’m so used to the filter being beneficial to the freshwater but not used to not running a filter. Would just running a wave maker work?

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making assumptions just based on you saying that this is 20 gallons with only fish.
Main thing (I would assume) that your HOB is doing for you is:
1. Surface agitation / oxygenation
2. Filtering out large debris
3. Easy spot to throw in media like GAC (carbon), GFO, etc,,, as desired

Are you looking to switch away from HOB for a specific reason? (You can easily find replacement HOB for under $100 -- I like Seachem Tidal but there's lots of decent ones)

If you're planning for corals then, of course, you'll need some kind of powerhead/wavemaker but if not, you could easily/cheaply stick with HOB.

Skimmer? Are you actually having issues with high nutrients?
If not, I'd vote don't bother but that's a matter of opinion.

EDIT -- OOOPS... this is an old thread. Not sure how I got here,,, sorry...

Back