Changing out sand

  • Thread starter Thread starter MSD60178
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

MSD60178

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 28, 2012
Messages
63
Reaction score
1
Location
Sycamore, IL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the reefing hobby for about 5 years now and have FOWLR and fresh water tanks since I was young. Anyway I have never been told or read that I should change out my sand every now and then, a little at a time. So I thought I would see y'alls thoughts are on changing sand beds out from time to time.
 
I only have done it when I change tanks. Sometimes then I just Rinse it out in 5 gal buckets. If you have a shallow sand bed you can just clean some of it when you do water changes. If you have a deep sand bed you want to be careful desturbing it.
 
I would just replace a small section at a time. There is a lot of beneficial bacteria in there.
 
I wouldnt change the sand at all. If you're going to do anything just add a thin layer on top or where you need this. Get a plastic tube and slowly poor it to the bottom so it doesnt cloud the water. Changing out sand leads to algae blooms because your stirring up all the gunk that's starting to break down in the sand.
 
I wouldnt change the sand at all. If you're going to do anything just add a thin layer on top or where you need this. Get a plastic tube and slowly poor it to the bottom so it doesnt cloud the water. Changing out sand leads to algae blooms because your stirring up all the gunk that's starting to break down in the sand.

Thats what I thought my thinking is just leave it in there and don't mess with let the sandshifters do what they do and just leave it.
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new