Changing return on Fluval evo 13.5

Elise_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
I was hoping to change the return on my fluval evo 13.5.
I bought the 1/2 inch RFG and upgraded the return pump but can’t for the life of me managed to snap the double lockline adapter off the stock return.

can you buy new attachments that screw onto it to attach it?
Am I just doing something really dumb? Haha. I just can’t seem to figure this out.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
I was hoping to change the return on my fluval evo 13.5.
I bought the 1/2 inch RFG and upgraded the return pump but can’t for the life of me managed to snap the double lockline adapter off the stock return.

can you buy new attachments that screw onto it to attach it?
Am I just doing something really dumb? Haha. I just can’t seem to figure this out.

Ok, so you are trying to attach a 1/2" Random Flow Generator nozzle to an existing single Locline line, but your existing Y-shaped double Locline piece won't detach, correct?

Locline attachments can be very, very tight (I used them for 20+ years in the metal working industry for supplying coolant). Basically, you'll need to bend the double Locline piece way over to one side and apply a good amount of pressure to break the 'lock' (connection). With enough force it should just 'pop off'.

OP
OP
Elise_

Elise_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so you are trying to attach a 1/2" Random Flow Generator nozzle to an existing single Locline line, but your existing Y-shaped double Locline piece won't detach, correct?

Locline attachments can be very, very tight (I used them for 20+ years in the metal working industry for supplying coolant). Basically, you'll need to bend the double Locline piece way over to one side and apply a good amount of pressure to break the 'lock' (connection). With enough force it should just 'pop off'.
Thanks, this is what I was afraid of. I have no idea how to apply more pressure to it than I am and can’t get it to detach.
I wonder if there is a way to buy the locline that then screws into the line coming from the pump and into the tank so I can just replace the whole thing.

will have to go looking into what that piece would be called.

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, this is what I was afraid of. I have no idea how to apply more pressure to it than I am and can’t get it to detach.
I wonder if there is a way to buy the locline that then screws into the line coming from the pump and into the tank so I can just replace the whole thing.

will have to go looking into what that piece would be called.

It can feel counterintuitive (like you're going to break it) at first. If it were me, I'd remove the return (Fluval simply calls this assembly, the "output nozzles") and hold the threaded part that screws into chamber 3 tightly in one hand, and grab the "Y" section in the other and bend it as far as it can go in one direction, gradually adding pressure until it detaches. That should do it, even if it feels like it's taking more effort than it should. I guess it could be defective somehow, but if you're applying enough pressure, it should cause the line to detach somewhere, even if it's not the spot you want to break off. Hopefully that works.

The good news is that Fluval is pretty good about standing behind their products. If you call or email customer service and ask for a new set of output nozzles, they'll probably just send you some. I emailed asking for the specs of the return line and they just sent me one at no cost. Same for the elbow connector when I stupidly broke mine.

Another thing - the loc-line is very durable, but most of the RFG attachments are not. Once you get it connected, don't try to manuever the RFG into the right position the same way you would the loc-line because it'll almost certainly end up cracking. Try to attach it at as close to the intended angle as possible to minimize maneuvering after it's attached. This seems to be one of the biggest complaints about the custom RFG attachments. But if you're careful, they work great.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back