changing rock

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I really REALLY hate my rockrock. I dont like the colour and I Don't like the shape. I have 20 pounds of dry rock, 4 pounds of live rock in sump, 2 inch sand bed, and a lot of filter media. Would it be possible to just change the rock and not affect my tanks parameters?

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I really REALLY hate my rockrock. I dont like the colour and I Don't like the shape. I have 20 pounds of dry rock, 4 pounds of live rock in sump, 2 inch sand bed, and a lot of filter media. Would it be possible to just change the rock and not affect my tanks parameters?

What I would do is put the dry rock in a bin with some mixed bacteria bottles and let it mature. You can dose ammonium chloride and ghost feed to get it started. This way it fixes issues you might be worried about.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the beneficial bacteria lives on the surfaces of the rocks, so you can't just switch them out for new rock or you will crash your tank. @AutumnReefs gives a good suggestion, another way is to switch them out one rock at a time, very slowly, like 2-3 weeks in between. (but the above is what I would probably do)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back