Changing to a heavier grade sand

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank is up and running with livestock and frankly too much rock to consider removing but im fed up of sand being blown around and it being to major consideration when deciding of wavemaker positions/power when it comes to flow.

So id like to put a heavier grade in.

Ill be going slow on this and doing it over the space of a couple of months, small areas weekly perhaps, starting on the most troublesome blown out areas first.

Im thinking using a syphon to remove it then drop the new in using an old large coke bottle

Sound like a decent enough plan?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. I’d personally do it over a few weeks, especially if the sandbed is shallow and new, but there’s nothing wrong with taking longer if that’s what you want.

I’d just siphon out the sand into a bucket during my weekly water changes.

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. I’d personally do it over a few weeks, especially if the sandbed is shallow and new, but there’s nothing wrong with taking longer if that’s what you want.

I’d just siphon out the sand into a bucket during my weekly water changes.
Thanks, theres only a couple of trouble areas but id love to be able to crank the flow up a bit more as im getting some detritus trap areas that a more considered placement of the powerheads will likely solve

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, theres only a couple of trouble areas but id love to be able to crank the flow up a bit more as im getting some detritus trap areas that a more considered placement of the powerheads will likely solve
I had a similar issue. The sand below the powerhead would get sucked in a venturi. I recently removed the sand.

My tank runs very high flow.

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue. The sand below the powerhead would get sucked in a venturi. I recently removed the sand.

My tank runs very high flow.
I still want something on the bottom, but whilst its only a 3ft 75g system we have a 4k gyre, 2x sicce sdc wavemakers and the outlet from the return. The gyre causes problems above 50% and the sdc's are 30% and 70%

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still want something on the bottom, but whilst its only a 3ft 75g system we have a 4k gyre, 2x sicce sdc wavemakers and the outlet from the return. The gyre causes problems above 50% and the sdc's are 30% and 70%
Of course. Try the coarser sand. :)

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course. Try the coarser sand. :)
Another reason so ive just been told is i may have a sand based dino issue starting so syphoning that out first is happening tomorrow
20230911_122433.jpg
20230911_122421.jpg

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing. Siphoned out the fine stuff and added courser stuff with a pvc pipe and a funnel. Worked good

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back