Chasing Coral opens eyes, by documenting coral bleaching

Rip Van Winkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine use to visit the Maldives. From this year’s trip he reports a catastrophe according to dead corals that he never has seen before

For those that don't know, I'll save you a trip to google maps: the Maldives are due west from the Phils, past Indo, off the coast of India, out to sea.

Looks to me like there was a die-off in the past and it's recovering from that now. Honestly, I was a little surprised as I don't see that here. I do see the occasional coral bleached but nothing like the amount in the video.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alas, more handwaving about climate change when other, more pressing concerns like destructive fishing and tourist practices, excessive use of sunscreen in areas around reefs, and nutrient runoff from agriculture get little attention.

The one does not exclude the other. And what is the common denominator between what you point out and Ocenic warming and CO2 acidification of the seas?

Just that - you and me - the human race

Sincerely Lasse

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw the doc. I am making a doc series myself (I am in the middle of the 4th of 7 episodes) about a related subject and I was looking for motivation to finish it. I didn't find it.

It's the same message we have all heard countless times using the same methods that have already been used before: appealing to our self preserving instinct. If the corals die we suffer.

If anyone is making films in hope of significantly changing the outcome of this whole self destructive process, it's in vain. And I think it's ok, as long as they have a good experience making the film.

I am also telling a story of destruction in my films. The difference is that the message I am trying to force into the films is "Yeah, everything is collapsing but it's going to be ok, life is not that fragile".

Rip Van Winkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...If anyone is making films in hope of significantly changing the outcome of this whole self destructive process, it's in vain. And I think it's ok, as long as they have a good experience making the film.

I am also telling a story of destruction in my films. The difference is that the message I am trying to force into the films is "Yeah, everything is collapsing but it's going to be ok, life is not that fragile".

May I say something without intending it to come off as negative or "pushing anyone's buttons"?

If one wants to change an outcome, maybe spreading/providing information is a positive first step but being the change itself is even more effective. If everyone just talks about it - that something bad is happening - then what? At one point people have to get together and actually do something to bring about a change. I was also thinking this when I watched Chasing Coral.

Ardeus, my humble opinion is if one is going to put energy into bringing awareness to the masses, there's many kinds of movies that could be made. How about a movie showing how some people who, in their hearts, really want to make a difference and collaborate to set up a coral reef preservation outpost that has an inland coral farm that's re-seeding affected coral reefs - and is successful in their endeavor? What about if that movie inspired others to follow suit? How moving would that be? Not only telling people "hey there's a problem going on here" but also: "This is how to fix it and anyone can join. The more the better/easier/faster".

I respectfully disagree with your statements and I'm speaking up because I think that kind of thinking promotes apathy. "...it's ok, as long as they have a good experience making the film." Unless something about your statement is not clear to me, I see that as an extremely selfish point of view. It's okay if it's in vain? Does that mean it's okay if corals worldwide bleach out and become extinct? It's not okay with me if everyone does nothing. I might not be everyone but I'm someone.

And also the second statement: "Yeah, everything is collapsing but it's going to be ok, life is not that fragile". Brother, how do you know? Does that mean let's all just let it die off and do nothing because you're sure that coral won't be affected? Also, do you think you can say that in a reefer forum without people understanding what you're insinuating? Correct me if I'm wrong, here.

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big problem is so many people are lazy and simply don't care about anything. Out of sight out of mind. If it doesn't affect them at this moment it doesn't matter.
Just an example... people will open there car doors at a convenience store and toss their trash in the parking lot instead of walking ten feet to the trash can. See it far to often.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am making a film about a place where this changes happen even faster: Lake Tanganyika.

There are now over 100.000 fishing boats there, an exploding poor population in the 4 surrounding countries and to top things off, they recently began oil exploration... in a lake. The temperature is also rising at an alarming rate.

Of course I had no hope when I left the place.

I did return after 18 months to see what had happened. The population of the tiny cichlid species I had been following had exploded in the area I focused. I think that the over fishing got rid of their predators. So for those little guys, things are going well at the moment.

When corals die, something takes their place: algae. Life goes on.

If anyone here had a bet to place whether or not the global warming and ocean acidification are going to reverse in the next decades, would anyone place their bet on yes?

That's the reason that I chose to be the guy on the plane on its way to crash on the ground that holds the hand of his neighbour and says "don't worry, everything's going to be fine".

Rip Van Winkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....That's the reason that I chose to be the guy on the plane on its way to crash on the ground that holds the hand of his neighbour and says "don't worry, everything's going to be fine".

So then why even bother to reply to my post? Everything's going to be fine for you, anyway....

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make films and I had to deal with similar problems trying to set up a surveillance system underwater, so when I watched this doc I enjoyed it in many ways.

Here's the trailer:

If you have a little bit more time I uploaded almost 500 hours to youtube :)

Uncut Lake Tanganyika Collection:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnfbIGeN-6zortTCxjDlGbzcHovDiLvUe

It's very difficult to make people care and act on conservation issues related to the sea other than sea mammals. There's little empathy for fish.

To fight this, I decided to go overboard with the humanization of fish.

I have made films for museums using the same approach they used on chasing coral and I always said that it wouldn't have much effect, because people have little empathy for the ocean and have heard the same thing in the same way countless times.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´m an old Tanganyika aquarist

Sometimes I think you must be "a brother from another mother"! :D

It's funny to think back at the "naturalistic" setup I had with almost no light (1 triton tube) and some bare boulders and bare gravel. Practically sterile! :rolleyes:

Knowing what I know now (and with access to so many good vid's like these!!!), my next Tanganyikan tank will be SO MUCH different....algae everywhere, some wild mud for inoculation, etc! :)

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes I think you must be "a brother from another mother"! :D

it’s a case of Convergent Evolution :)

It's funny to think back at the "naturalistic" setup I had with almost no light (1 triton tube) and some bare boulders and bare gravel. Practically sterile! :rolleyes:

Knowing what I know now (and with access to so many good vid's like these!!!), my next Tanganyikan tank will be SO MUCH different....algae everywhere, some wild mud for inoculation, etc! :)

Do not forget to use saltwater streames and wavemakers.

Round boulders, algae mats, waves, streamers, LED lights, and tanganyika clowns - my dream Tanganyika tank for now. And let the Tropheus stay in Africa :)

Sincerely Lasse

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back