Chasing Coral opens eyes, by documenting coral bleaching

jeremy.gosnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
chasing.coral.jpg
All images have been used with appropriate permission(s).

After years of being a reef aquarist, in 2006 I accepted a position as a coral reef biology science instructor with a small dive service provider called Beautiful Oceans. Our goal was twofold. One, we thought that if we educated scuba divers about the depth (no pun intended) of reef biology, they may in fact fall further in love with reef ecosystems. That love could express itself in a desire to preserve oceanic bio-diversity. Two, using what was the latest technology then, we could GPS map coral reefs, giving dive charters interactive maps for their clients and allowing scientists to closely map reef decline. While Beautiful Oceans had, a lot going for it, beautiful training materials and access to celebrity oceanic conservationists, the cost of the service was too hefty, and getting dive shops to invest was difficult. For research based firms, such as Florida’s MOTE, the money simply wasn’t there.

As soon as Chasing Coral started, I felt flashbacks to my work as a science instructor. Underwater filmmakers were joining forces with coral reef biologists to chronicle reef decay, and finally show the public the reality of declining reef health. The film follows Richard Vevers, a former advertising executive turned underwater film-maker. Vevers set out to chronicle worldwide reefs on film, paying close attention to the climate change related phenomenon known as bleaching. During filming, he noticed a striking similarity to his work, and that produced for the documentary film Chasing Ice. Chasing Ice documented the loss of worldwide glaciers, and Vevers quickly realized that both filmmaking teams were “chasing” similar climate change related disasters. Vevers reached out to Jeff Orlowski (the director of Chasing Ice) and Netflix’s newest documentary was born.

Orlowski stepped up to direct Chasing Coral, and after partnering with numerous marine scientists, the team stepped out to fully document coral bleaching, perhaps for the first time in history. There are numerous factors that rescue Chasing Coral from the fate of so many environmental documentaries. One, Vevers’ original work was with Catlin, the panoramic camera technology used to record virtual dives for Google Earth. Due to that connection, he automatically had connections with a host of skilled underwater engineers. To document bleaching, those engineers worked together to create a camera system capable of remaining submerged in seawater for long periods of time, and also capable of creating a wireless network that can automatically upload video to the surface. To combat algae growth, the team designed an automatic camera housing wiper system, which functions much like a protein skimmer neck cleaner, wiping away algae build-up and securing a distortion free shot.

chasing-coral.2.jpg

Among the engineering team is Zackery Rago, a long-time reef aquarist and self-described coral nerd. Any aquarist will instantly connect with Zack’s love of reef life, most noticeable when he witnesses his first bleaching event, which brings him to tears. A stellar set of engineers wasn’t enough, Vevers also needed scientists on the bleeding edge of reef health. Using mapping data developed by NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) Vevers and his team identified hot spots, areas of the ocean with sea temperatures rising dramatically above recorded norms. In some instances, sea temperatures around these hot spots breached 87 degrees, a known fatal zone for most corals. After planting a network of underwater cameras on coral reefs around the world, the team waited for their first sets of images.

The film works well for those unfamiliar with coral reefs. While Vevers (who takes a lead role in the film) is a skilled underwater film-maker, he isn’t overtly familiar with coral life. The audience embarks on an education with him, learning intricacies of coral biology from top reef scientists. During those lessons, viewers begin to understand the importance of corals to overall oceanic health, while also learning that globally, over 29% of coral reefs have died. The more that Vevers learns about coral biology, the more connected he becomes with the mission. Overall, the film-maker’s ambition switches from recording virtual dives for Google Earth, to trying to document coral bleaching’s reality, with the hope of fanning the flames of public interest and empathy.

The great mystery surrounding coral bleaching has always been, “how long does it take?” Scientists have been confident for years that they’ve known the cause of large scale bleaching events, rising sea temperatures. For centuries, sea temperatures have been relatively stable, often only fluctuating a few percentage points of a degree. Globally, sea temperatures have been rising on average 3, 4, and 5 degrees, with some areas seeing rises of 8 degrees or more. The impact, corals are no longer able to survive in their native waters, and thus bleach a ghostly white, eventually dying.

As reef keepers, we know precisely what causes bleaching. Within coral tissue lives photosynthetic zooxanthella algae. To maintain coral health, a delicate balance must be maintained, ensuring the zooxanthella don’t grow too quickly, but that they can always photosynthesize and provide the coral with any additional nutrition. When water temperatures become too warm, the micro-algae within coral tissues quits photosynthesizing, and the coral sees it as an invasive micro-organism, like a virus. Quickly the coral animal expels the vital algae, causing its flesh to turn translucent. Soon, the coral is starving, and often within days it is dead. Coral bleaching has consumed massive tracts of reef ecosystems, even leveling much of Australia’s great barrier reef, and quickly wiping out the reef surrounding the Florida Keys. If it continues, scientists estimate that in less than 30 years, all coral reefs worldwide will be dead. Consider that 80% of reef species within the ocean live on a coral reef at some point in their development, and reefs only encompass about 25% of the total world’s oceans. We simply don’t know what an ocean without coral reefs will look like.

chasing.coral.5.jpg

To the surprise of both the film-makers and reef scientists, coral bleaching happens at a rapid pace. Once water temperatures rise a few degrees above normal, corals begin to display vivid fluorescent hues, a sort of biological sunblock to deal with the excess heat. Within days, colonies begin to transform into skeletal masses, and less than a week later, microalgae begin to colonize exposed bone. A reef that was teeming just a week ago is now dead.

Chasing Coral documents the reality of climate change, along with its ability to wipe out entire ecosystems nearly overnight. It reminds us of the importance of corals, which built the very ecosystems that allowed life in the ocean to evolve, up until the point that animals first stepped on land. They are in many ways the foundation of life on Earth, and removing them from complex ecosystems could spiral the bio-hierarchy of the planet out of control, leading up to numerous mass extinctions.

chasing.coral.6.jpg

Chasing Coral reminds us that it’s quite possible someday, the world’s only corals will exist in an aquarium. This would be a tragedy, as hundreds (if not thousands) of invertebrate and fish species simply cannot survive without coral reefs. As the film points out, when the oceans change, life on Earth changes. In an age when American leadership fails to recognize climate science as legitimate, and promises to re-ignite industries that accelerate climate change, such documentation of the devastation wrought by excess carbon is more important than ever.

Last edited by a moderator:

MAREEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was interesting/good that they chose to focus on the engineer/scientist. I could see myself having very similar reactions. I can't remember his name for some reason. He is in the picture at the bottom of the article. I thought that it was good to show the real emotion that comes with losing something so beautiful. I have lost a whole fish tank of coral before but to see total devastation for as far as the eye can see (even from an airplane) would be a lot to take in and process. Just an entirely different scale. I am glad that awareness is being spread and in a manner that is upfront and personal rather than on just charts and graphs.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoyed it. I wonder if our tanks will serve as gene pool protectors some day. Hopefully it doesn't come to that...

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alas, more handwaving about climate change when other, more pressing concerns like destructive fishing and tourist practices, excessive use of sunscreen in areas around reefs, and nutrient runoff from agriculture get little attention.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alas, more handwaving about climate change when other, more pressing concerns like destructive fishing and tourist practices, excessive use of sunscreen in areas around reefs, and nutrient runoff from agriculture get little attention.

I've never heard anyone mention oceanic warming outside of a vague notion "supposedly" related to global warming.....but everyone knows about the issues you mentioned, so far as they are issues.

For example, there are no mentions of ocean warming on R2R outside of the commentary about this movie – even as bad as things are!

By comparison, try a R2R search for runoff or overfishing. Well-covered.

To me global warming and all the surrounding debate now seems like a red herring....oceanic warming is happening. I think the question (and maybe the hope) is whether it's us and not something else.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard anyone mention oceanic warming outside of a vague notion "supposedly" related to global warming.....but everyone knows about the issues you mentioned, so far as they are issues.

For example, there are no mentions of ocean warming on R2R outside of the commentary about this movie – even as bad as things are!

By comparison, try a R2R search for runoff or overfishing. Well-covered.

To me global warming and all the surrounding debate now seems like a red herring....oceanic warming is happening. I think the question (and maybe the hope) is whether it's us and not something else.
This community is more educated on these issues than most average citizens. What I meant to say and failed to confer is that folks outside of the reefing community are relatively uneducated with respect to the other issues affecting reefs, and articles like this miss a perfect opportunity to highlight those as the most pressing issued facing reefs right now.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This community is more educated on these issues than most average citizens.

Apparently not on ocean warming.

I shouted "What?!?" at the screen when they mentioned the waters the were recording in the movie....I'm aware of reefs getting up into the mid-high 80ºF's....temperatures these guys saw (90ºF's) was a shock to me. To me, the narrow focus on this flick matched the subject.

But I agree overall...if possible, it's good to get the word out whenever possible. :)

So maybe all things considered – this thread included – the movie actually puts attention onto those issues as well. :) :) (Thanks to @AllSignsPointToFish bringing them up!)

Rip Van Winkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad to see this as an article and that it's featured here as I posted here (in the water chemistry section) about 2 weeks ago. I'm happy to see it hasn't been forgotten. I never thought to feature an article. Good idea whomever has done this.

I enjoyed it. I wonder if our tanks will serve as gene pool protectors some day. Hopefully it doesn't come to that...

I've been thinking along the same basic lines. Land based commercial coral farms and Reefers worldwide may very well become the keepers/re-seeders of coral populations around the whole world because it might very well turn out to be that the only place that coral will really be prolific would be in stable, artificial environments, similar to what we have in home aquariums.
I think if that actually came to pass, it would really be ironic because (in general) the pet trade is looked down upon by marine biologists right now.

...To me global warming and all the surrounding debate now seems like a red herring....oceanic warming is happening. I think the question (and maybe the hope) is whether it's us and not something else.

Yeah that's the 64-million dollar question eh? Very intuitive. :)

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
chasing.coral.jpg
All images have been used with appropriate permission(s).

After years of being a reef aquarist, in 2006 I accepted a position as a coral reef biology science instructor with a small dive service provider called Beautiful Oceans. Our goal was twofold. One, we thought that if we educated scuba divers about the depth (no pun intended) of reef biology, they may in fact fall further in love with reef ecosystems. That love could express itself in a desire to preserve oceanic bio-diversity. Two, using what was the latest technology then, we could GPS map coral reefs, giving dive charters interactive maps for their clients and allowing scientists to closely map reef decline. While Beautiful Oceans had, a lot going for it, beautiful training materials and access to celebrity oceanic conservationists, the cost of the service was too hefty, and getting dive shops to invest was difficult. For research based firms, such as Florida’s MOTE, the money simply wasn’t there.

As soon as Chasing Coral started, I felt flashbacks to my work as a science instructor. Underwater filmmakers were joining forces with coral reef biologists to chronicle reef decay, and finally show the public the reality of declining reef health. The film follows Richard Vevers, a former advertising executive turned underwater film-maker. Vevers set out to chronicle worldwide reefs on film, paying close attention to the climate change related phenomenon known as bleaching. During filming, he noticed a striking similarity to his work, and that produced for the documentary film Chasing Ice. Chasing Ice documented the loss of worldwide glaciers, and Vevers quickly realized that both filmmaking teams were “chasing” similar climate change related disasters. Vevers reached out to Jeff Orlowski (the director of Chasing Ice) and Netflix’s newest documentary was born.

Orlowski stepped up to direct Chasing Coral, and after partnering with numerous marine scientists, the team stepped out to fully document coral bleaching, perhaps for the first time in history. There are numerous factors that rescue Chasing Coral from the fate of so many environmental documentaries. One, Vevers’ original work was with Catlin, the panoramic camera technology used to record virtual dives for Google Earth. Due to that connection, he automatically had connections with a host of skilled underwater engineers. To document bleaching, those engineers worked together to create a camera system capable of remaining submerged in seawater for long periods of time, and also capable of creating a wireless network that can automatically upload video to the surface. To combat algae growth, the team designed an automatic camera housing wiper system, which functions much like a protein skimmer neck cleaner, wiping away algae build-up and securing a distortion free shot.

chasing-coral.2.jpg

Among the engineering team is Zackery Rago, a long-time reef aquarist and self-described coral nerd. Any aquarist will instantly connect with Zack’s love of reef life, most noticeable when he witnesses his first bleaching event, which brings him to tears. A stellar set of engineers wasn’t enough, Vevers also needed scientists on the bleeding edge of reef health. Using mapping data developed by NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) Vevers and his team identified hot spots, areas of the ocean with sea temperatures rising dramatically above recorded norms. In some instances, sea temperatures around these hot spots breached 87 degrees, a known fatal zone for most corals. After planting a network of underwater cameras on coral reefs around the world, the team waited for their first sets of images.

The film works well for those unfamiliar with coral reefs. While Vevers (who takes a lead role in the film) is a skilled underwater film-maker, he isn’t overtly familiar with coral life. The audience embarks on an education with him, learning intricacies of coral biology from top reef scientists. During those lessons, viewers begin to understand the importance of corals to overall oceanic health, while also learning that globally, over 29% of coral reefs have died. The more that Vevers learns about coral biology, the more connected he becomes with the mission. Overall, the film-maker’s ambition switches from recording virtual dives for Google Earth, to trying to document coral bleaching’s reality, with the hope of fanning the flames of public interest and empathy.

The great mystery surrounding coral bleaching has always been, “how long does it take?” Scientists have been confident for years that they’ve known the cause of large scale bleaching events, rising sea temperatures. For centuries, sea temperatures have been relatively stable, often only fluctuating a few percentage points of a degree. Globally, sea temperatures have been rising on average 3, 4, and 5 degrees, with some areas seeing rises of 8 degrees or more. The impact, corals are no longer able to survive in their native waters, and thus bleach a ghostly white, eventually dying.

As reef keepers, we know precisely what causes bleaching. Within coral tissue lives photosynthetic zooxanthella algae. To maintain coral health, a delicate balance must be maintained, ensuring the zooxanthella don’t grow too quickly, but that they can always photosynthesize and provide the coral with any additional nutrition. When water temperatures become too warm, the micro-algae within coral tissues quits photosynthesizing, and the coral sees it as an invasive micro-organism, like a virus. Quickly the coral animal expels the vital algae, causing its flesh to turn translucent. Soon, the coral is starving, and often within days it is dead. Coral bleaching has consumed massive tracts of reef ecosystems, even leveling much of Australia’s great barrier reef, and quickly wiping out the reef surrounding the Florida Keys. If it continues, scientists estimate that in less than 30 years, all coral reefs worldwide will be dead. Consider that 80% of reef species within the ocean live on a coral reef at some point in their development, and reefs only encompass about 25% of the total world’s oceans. We simply don’t know what an ocean without coral reefs will look like.

chasing.coral.5.jpg

To the surprise of both the film-makers and reef scientists, coral bleaching happens at a rapid pace. Once water temperatures rise a few degrees above normal, corals begin to display vivid fluorescent hues, a sort of biological sunblock to deal with the excess heat. Within days, colonies begin to transform into skeletal masses, and less than a week later, microalgae begin to colonize exposed bone. A reef that was teeming just a week ago is now dead.

Chasing Coral documents the reality of climate change, along with its ability to wipe out entire ecosystems nearly overnight. It reminds us of the importance of corals, which built the very ecosystems that allowed life in the ocean to evolve, up until the point that animals first stepped on land. They are in many ways the foundation of life on Earth, and removing them from complex ecosystems could spiral the bio-hierarchy of the planet out of control, leading up to numerous mass extinctions.

chasing.coral.6.jpg

Chasing Coral reminds us that it’s quite possible someday, the world’s only corals will exist in an aquarium. This would be a tragedy, as hundreds (if not thousands) of invertebrate and fish species simply cannot survive without coral reefs. As the film points out, when the oceans change, life on Earth changes. In an age when American leadership fails to recognize climate science as legitimate, and promises to re-ignite industries that accelerate climate change, such documentation of the devastation wrought by excess carbon is more important than ever.
I finally watched the program last night. I didn't realize that this was happening as fast as it seems to be. If this is the case, we actually need to pull as many different species out to house them in aquariums for survival, versus letting the inevitable take over. At this point with technology they can all survive in our homes and aquariums just like certain animals are rarely found in the wild versus being in zoos.

Obviously people around the world arent going to start riding bikes versus driving, etc. Any idea what's going on in Indonesia and in the Philippines where we get most of our stuff? As compared to Australia? Curious as to scientific testing in other areas also.

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emjoyedvthe documentary.. as real eye opener for me. I've only had a reef rank for a little over a year and a half now. Would hate to lose more reefs. It's a sad day. I hope 1 day the only corals left aren't ours.

Rip Van Winkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...Obviously people around the world arent going to start riding bikes versus driving, etc. Any idea what's going on in Indonesia and in the Philippines where we get most of our stuff? As compared to Australia? Curious as to scientific testing in other areas also.

I'm actually in the Philippines right now and I was in Indonesia for about 45 days, about 10 months ago. I work here so on the weekends I'm off diving.
The Philippines is very very different culturally than the west, so sometimes things that are seen as normal here are hard for westerners to understand. (I'm Canadian myself) That being said, for the most part things are fine here and in Indo in terms of coral bleaching.

The locals don't take care of the environment. Most of the population is functioning at poverty levels that would astound westerners, so there's no real time for concern over the environment. Then, the government doesn't really provide for the conservation of the beaches and reefs.

I'm thinking of what I might write here and I could go on forever.... Anyway, one thing I should say is, the Philippines is f**king unbelievably beautiful. The places that are clean are through the roof, really.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually in the Philippines right now and I was in Indonesia for about 45 days, about 10 months ago. I work here so on the weekends I'm off diving.
The Philippines is very very different culturally than the west, so sometimes things that are seen as normal here are hard for westerners to understand. (I'm Canadian myself) That being said, for the most part things are fine here and in Indo in terms of coral bleaching.

The locals don't take care of the environment. Most of the population is functioning at poverty levels that would astound westerners, so there's no real time for concern over the environment. Then, the government doesn't really provide for the conservation of the beaches and reefs.

I'm thinking of what I might write here and I could go on forever.... Anyway, one thing I should say is, the Philippines is f**king unbelievably beautiful. The places that are clean are through the roof, really.
I completely understand what you are saying. I'd love to visit, but realize many live in poverty environments that we don't even allow our dogs to experience. I had that awakening when I went inland in Jamaica for the first time. For the first time in my life I felt wealthy beyond our expectations of wealthy here. It definitely changed me.

So the waters there aren't warm enough yet to show effects of what the barrier reef has happening. That's good. With the fish industry where you are being a major source of income, I'm surprised the locals don't trying to preserve it more so that what you say. Even if the government didn't get involved.

Rip Van Winkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the waters there aren't warm enough yet to show effects of what the barrier reef has happening. That's good. With the fish industry where you are being a major source of income, I'm surprised the locals don't trying to preserve it more so that what you say. Even if the government didn't get involved.

One thing I struggle to understand is temperature, specifically heat or high temperature for coral. When I was in Okinawa, I was on several huge tidal pools where high tide will come in and cover the rocks for hours at a time and then low tide will go back out and expose the rocks, leaving some water pooled in some areas. Obviously anyone can understand that as the day goes on, the water heats up and the smaller the pool, the faster it heats up and evaporates. Now, there's all kinds of inhabitants that get trapped in the pools, including coral. Some corals are completely out of the water, exposed to air and direct sunlight for hours until the tide comes back in and this happens is every day. They're still alive. They don't die. So how can a coral that never even gets close to that kind of abuse (it's never out of water in direct sun) be affected by a slight change in temperature?

And the other thing is, the Philippines is HOT. There aren't any seasons. It's right on the equator. The sun comes up at around 5:45 and sets about 18:30, 365 days a year. They say they have rainy season and all that but trust me, I know what REAL seasons are and its forever summer here.

Just saying that the shallow water on the beach is like my gf's bathwater, scorching. Yet I see all kinds of life. You can barely walk on the sand without stepping on amphipods, every 2nd shell is a hermit crab, there's snails, stars (like chocolate chip stars larger than my hands), urchins,.... I could go on and on but you get my meaning. They're not affected by hot water. The only reason why corals are not really found in the shallows is because the sand is constantly shifting and I assume they would get burried. When I was in Karimunjawa Island in Indonesia the lagoon was full of coral with water no higher than 4 to 6 ft and very warm.

I would be very interested to hear what someone in the know has to say about this.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I struggle to understand is temperature, specifically heat or high temperature for coral. When I was in Okinawa, I was on several huge tidal pools where high tide will come in and cover the rocks for hours at a time and then low tide will go back out and expose the rocks, leaving some water pooled in some areas. Obviously anyone can understand that as the day goes on, the water heats up and the smaller the pool, the faster it heats up and evaporates. Now, there's all kinds of inhabitants that get trapped in the pools, including coral. Some corals are completely out of the water, exposed to air and direct sunlight for hours until the tide comes back in and this happens is every day. They're still alive. They don't die. So how can a coral that never even gets close to that kind of abuse (it's never out of water in direct sun) be affected by a slight change in temperature?

And the other thing is, the Philippines is HOT. There aren't any seasons. It's right on the equator. The sun comes up at around 5:45 and sets about 18:30, 365 days a year. They say they have rainy season and all that but trust me, I know what REAL seasons are and its forever summer here.

Just saying that the shallow water on the beach is like my gf's bathwater, scorching. Yet I see all kinds of life. You can barely walk on the sand without stepping on amphipods, every 2nd shell is a hermit crab, there's snails, stars (like chocolate chip stars larger than my hands), urchins,.... I could go on and on but you get my meaning. They're not affected by hot water. The only reason why corals are not really found in the shallows is because the sand is constantly shifting and I assume they would get burried. When I was in Karimunjawa Island in Indonesia the lagoon was full of coral with water no higher than 4 to 6 ft and very warm.

I would be very interested to hear what someone in the know has to say about this.
Good points. I remember Dana Riddle giving a speech pointing some things along the same lines in Hawaii and jason fox saying the same in Indonesia (or in that area).

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the waters there aren't warm enough yet to show effects of what the barrier reef has happening. That's good.

The film crew had satellite support from NOAA and more to triangulate on a spot that was bleaching and still had to make attempts on multiple locations to actually catch it.

In an area with a lot of reefs you have to know where to look, and it's not clear how many people are looking (this isn't Australia) – but I hope what you said is true.

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of the corals around South Florida are struggling due to disease. Rising temperatures, acidification, sedimentation, eutrophication, etc. stresses the coral, making them susceptible to pathogens.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is some studies that indicate that it’s the combined factor of low pH and higher temperatures that stress the corals. The fast rising CO2 level (since 150 years and especially since 1950 (more than 25 % -> 1950 to now)) have a double effect. It has lower the pH of the Oceans and raised the average temperature on earth.

It has been interesting to see graphs of the daily temperatures and pH:s from lagoons and rock pools that normal has high temperature.

A friend of mine use to visit the Maldives. From this year’s trip he reports a catastrophe according to dead corals that he never has seen before

Sincerely Lasse

Rip Van Winkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is some studies that indicate that it’s the combined factor of low pH and higher temperatures that stress the corals.

I'm also curious about pH fluctuations. Wouldn't be hard for me to check on a weekend. Although, I'm not sure if checking just one weekend would really be significant but might be interesting.

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe coral reefs in the equator doesn't bleached that easily due to temperature swing. As someone had mentioned, most of the problem is human attitude (rubbish dumping, sewerage problem, fish bombing etc). I have yet to see massive coral bleaching event, there are a few cases (minor) but they usually recovered in few years.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.8%
Back