Cheap and easy ATO Cover/Lid

the.introvertebrate

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 11, 2019
Messages
42
Reaction score
11
What state or country do you live in
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm new here (first post, hope i'm not breaking any rules)

Just thought id share a quick DIY hack that I put together for my ATO over the weekend. I noticed I was going through 20L of ATO water quicker than usual, needing to re-fill every 4-5 days so I created a cover to stop the evaporation.

All you need it a sheet of (what i'm calling) clear plastic cortflute and a stanley knife/blade.

If you're in Australia you can pickup a sheet of this stuff for cheap from the hardware store bunnings: https://www.bunnings.com.au/sunlite-8-1-2-x-0-61m-clear-twinwall-polycarbonate-sheet_p1010852

I suspect you could even make a lid for your tank out of this stuff easily enough as it comes in various sizes and tints.

79805279_2230114207294845_164479006710693888_n.jpg
 
The only thing I don't like about it is that water will collect in the open cut ends (not a problem in the ato container since it sits in the trim very tightly) I keep meaning to dry my panels out (I have 4 additional) and squirt some hot glue in the gaps but I haven't gotten the energy to do it
 
Welcome to R2R!!! Thanks for sharing!
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new