OP
OP
B

Brandon7878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't remember if it has a built in timer or not. You may want pick one up just in case. As for the glass top, I would not use one. Glass tops get condensate from evaporation and it will just block light trying to come through. Glass tops also slow gas exchange that saltwater aquariums need to keep up oxygen in the water in smaller tanks. You can order a diy screen top from Bulk Reef Supply. It is easy to put together and will keep all your fish in the tank.
Do you recommend having a timer on? As in have it set to be on during the day and off at night
Do you recommend having a timer on? As in have it set to be on during the day and off at night

Test led

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running your lights for 8 to 10 hours should be enough. You said you only wanted to keep soft corals so your intensity with this light will not have to be high.

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really enjoying my SBReeflight's Sprite led light. It's been awesome.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil A80 with gooseneck is about $150. But it's high quality and well built light that you will be able to use it as supplement light or in sump if you upgrade your tank. It's better than spending $50 on a light that you won't be able to reuse for other purpose. I have a A80 now running in my sump's frag area, and several $20~$50 lights lying in the closest collecting dust.

KSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree with the people here suggesting the Kessil A80. Save up a few extra bucks to get some better quality lighting. You say that you want to keep soft corals and fish but if you're light the rest of us that will suddenly change when you see a nice LPS piece at the store that you can't say no to.

Buying cheap strip led lights made for freshwater fish aren't going to be aesthetically appealing to the eye and also be ideal for your corals. Just like any reefer there will be a time where you're going to want to upgrade your system to a bigger tank and you're stuck with a cheap led strip light that has absolutely no resell value. There are a lot of places where you can go cheaper on equipment but lighting is not one of those places I like to cut corners.

ramona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am following, as I am also interested in a good quality light for a rimless 12" cube.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Its Bill from ReefLEDLights

Here is my opinion on Cheap but Reliable...No Such Thing...

Inexpensive and Reliable...Yes

Many Import Ebay Fixtures use noname parts... Drivers and Powersupplies often do not have any serial number or manufacturer labeled on them. These critical parts are not IP63, UL or CE listed. In fact some of the these are open to the air which allows for salt ridden dust to collect. This does not lead me to conclude that these "Black Boxes" are in anyway safe or reliable. A UL/CE Listed enclosed Meanwell Driver or better driver and powersupply.

Other things like Thermal Management are critical as hot electronics simply do not last.

Many say $500-600 is too much for a LED Fixture. We say that this is rather inexpensive compared to the alternative. Back in the day a MH Bulb was $89 the Reflector $125 and the Electronic Ballast $250 or $464 and you have to replace the Bulb every 9 to 12 Months. Dont forget the cost of a Chiller and electricity.

Another option is a somewhat moderately priced Chinese Light for $250-300. These may or not use Quality Binned Cree LEDs so spectrum may be a question and they generally have a life expectancy of 18-30 months. Replacement stresses corals as you may be without a light for short of a week.

Our Solution is the Sirius XTC which is more powerful and less expensive than the Ecotech Radion... This after shipping is close to $600 which is a better option than MH. For those who want the same performance and reliability but at a cost comparable to a Chinese Import we offer the Sirius XTC DIY Kit which is bare bones and very easy to assemble.

The XTC is a 400 watt MH equivalent designed to cover 24"x24". If your interested an a custom DIY for a 10 Gal we can put together a DIY Kit using solderless connectors and a Makers Heatsink...This would be around your target of $100 and you would have Binned Cree LEDs.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

CRI 057 Plant.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back