Cheap Magnetic Stirrer for Kalk?

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience using a cheap Amazon mag stirrer to keep kalk stirred? Was gonna give it a shot.

Idea would be a kalk container with a stir bar on the stirrer; dose by feeding RO in at the bottom with a dosing pump, and let the KW at the top of the vessel flow through a tube into the tank.

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you also wanting to add powder when RO is dosed or are you trying to dissolve more of the slurry?

Kalk really should not be stirred. See the thread below from the chemistry forum.

OP
OP
rmurken

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your definition of cheap? This is a good one.

That TLF KW reactor is actually what I have now! It’s a cool design, but I’d like to be able to dose throughout the day. A dosing pump is ideal. But the TLF rig doesn’t really work with a dosing pump. I have a 55G tank so looking to be a little more precise.

OP
OP
rmurken

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you also wanting to add powder when RO is dosed or are you trying to dissolve more of the slurry?

Kalk really should not be stirred. See the thread below from the chemistry forum.

Reading

OP
OP
rmurken

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ah. So. I think that’s true for dosing from a static reservoir or dripping. I’m looking to get more of a reactor style setup where RO comes in toward the bottom from a doser and overflows saturated KW through tubing into the tank. If you don’t stir in that situation (gently), the solution gets more dilute just from the addition of water without mixing it with the undissolved slurry at the bottom.

OP
OP
rmurken

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to update this thread, I got a $30 magnetic stirrer off Amazon and rigged up an old Aquamaxx calcium reactor with a dosing pump.

The dosing pump puts 25ml of RO into the bottom of the reactor hourly, which pushes the same amount of KW out the top and into my sump.

At the same time, the magnetic stirrer comes on for two minutes. It’s enough of a stir to get the solids about halfway up the reactor, which I am positing is enough to mix and saturate the new RO while minimizing circulation of the upper layer of KW (but will monitor). It settles out within an hour, when the process repeats itself.

I think any old vessel could work—doesn’t need to be a $200 Ca reactor (I have low pH and also need to work my way up to a CO2 rig before I actually use a Ca reactor as a Ca reactor). A 1000ml filtration flask (erlenmeyer with a barb connector on the neck) with a one hole stopper for the doser would be ideal.

We are all armchair chemists, so don’t tell me you wouldn’t secretly love having a conical flask in your rig!

Last edited:
OP
OP
rmurken

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F11DF414-D171-4F27-9257-FFCD0087A4A8.jpeg

Gets the job done!

OP
OP
rmurken

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...but now I understand why people don’t like kalk stirrers, since...just mix up a bunch each week and let the doser dose it out. Still, fun project.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back