Cheap pumps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

silvernblackr35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never cleaned with vinegar and still had this problem, after taking the entire wetside apart I noticed no rusting anywhere but the shaft. Lukewarm water and a brush is all i've ever needed on any of my pumps.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take mine apart once a month and just clean with water. I always check any pump for wear no matter what the brand things happen and so you always need to keep and I on your equipment.

JustSomeGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the 6 to 7 years I've had my pump I have only taken it offline for a cleaning 2 to 3 times. The Westside has started to make noise but still operates with no problems. They may have switched manufacturers for the magnets or maybe a slight design flaw in the qd pumps. Even with this problem some people have had I'd still recommend ecotech pumps over any other brand. My 1 tank I went with a gyre and really wish I would have just bought 2x mp40's.

OP
OP
gpwdr

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take mine apart once a month and just clean with water. I always check any pump for wear no matter what the brand things happen and so you always need to keep and I on your equipment.
I'd rater buy quality equipment than have to check them out all the time.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I guess I know what I'll be doing when I get home from work. Fingers crossed things come up clean!

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sucks to see this. I have an older mp40 that I've had for years without issue and am very happy with. I was planning to buy another but now I think I'll explore other options. It would be nice to see ecotech comment on this.

silvernblackr35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After contacting Ecotech and sending them pictures of my issue they are exchanging my wetside even though I am technically out of warranty by 5months. This is a manufacturer defect though so I would encourage anyone with this issue to give them a call or email. There has obviously been a quality control issue somewhere along the line with select pumps manufactured between certain dates.

OP
OP
gpwdr

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After contacting Ecotech and sending them pictures of my issue they are exchanging my wetside even though I am technically out of warranty by 5months. This is a manufacturer defect though so I would encourage anyone with this issue to give them a call or email. There has obviously been a quality control issue somewhere along the line with select pumps manufactured between certain dates.
Thats good news, I'll give them a call.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good to know that at least they are quietly taking ownership of this issue. The rusting wetsides were discussed at length over on RC. Early at one point when the rust issue with the newer MP40QD wetsides became apparent, an RC member was told by Ecotech that wetsides were supposedly “wear items” that should be replaced every 18 months. :rolleyes: I kind of thought this was a lame excuse as I never heard of the wetside being a wear item on prior generations of Vortechs. Having to fork over $75 every 18 months for a defective part for a premium powerhead is unacceptable IMO.

OP
OP
gpwdr

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good to know that at least they are quietly taking ownership of this issue. The rusting wetsides were discussed at length over on RC. Early at one point when the rust issue with the newer MP40QD wetsides became apparent, an RC member was told by Ecotech that wetsides were supposedly “wear items” that should be replaced every 18 months. :rolleyes: I kind of thought this was a lame excuse as I never heard of the wetside being a wear item on prior generations of Vortechs. Having to fork over $75 every 18 months for a defective part for a premium powerhead is unacceptable IMO.
I hope thats still not the case?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you get on the phone with them, be nice. Their CS is very good and I’m sure by now, the rusting wetsides is a known issue. But if you’re irate and rude, I’m not sure how far that’ll go. Be cool and I’m sure they’ll take care of you.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you get on the phone with them, be nice. Their CS is very good and I’m sure by now, the rusting wetsides is a known issue. But if you’re irate and rude, I’m not sure how far that’ll go. Be cool and I’m sure they’ll take care of you.

"you get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar."

OP
OP
gpwdr

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EcoTech is going to replace those wet sides for me. They really are still a stand up company. I'm glad they are still the best wave maker out on the market.
Thanks EchoTech

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious as to whether they’ve made changes to the construction of the wetsides moving forward in light of what clearly seems to be a manufacturing defect.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back