Cheap salinity meter for mixing station

LVReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
My mixing station is on a 4 feet table so the top of the mixing tank is 9 feet in the air. I also only mix half batches for now so I can’t get my Hana salinity checker in there. Dispensing salt water in a cup to test works but I need to discard more than I want to clear the pipe.

So I’ve been looking for a salinity meter to put in the mixing tank. One that has an external display I can mount outside. It doesn’t need amazing precision since I will check with the Hana before putting it in the tank but at least precise to 1ppm would help.

I was thinking about this thing from AliExpress. Any thoughts on it?
Yieryi Smart WIFI Aquarium Seawater Salinity Water Quality Meter PH EC TDS Salt TEMP Data Logger Tester Monitor for Fish Tanks

The alternatives are like $750 from Hana or getting a 2nd apex but that seems way overkill.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one you listed should work fine. Just a question of how long it will hold up. If nothing else it should give you a good idea of what you would want in an upgrade. As for 1ppm accuracy, I can pretty much guarantee anything you will be looking at in that price range will be no where near +/- 1ppm.

OP
OP
LVReef

LVReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. Reviews aren't particularly good so I was looking for something similar where people had better experience. I think $200-$300 would be a sweet spot but I can only find very good ones for $800 or very bad ones for $45.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Pinpoint salinity meter at my mixing station. It is hand held but the probe is on a cord and not integrated in the body of the meter.

Gellisjr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a little confused by this statement, seems contradictive. "It doesn’t need amazing precision since I will check with the Hana before putting it in the tank but at least precise to 1ppm." that seems pretty tight tolerance to me. Since your going to be checking with the Hanna anyway why couldn't you use a salinity monitor such as a Milwaukee or Hanna unit with a salinity probe calibrated with 35ppt calibration fluid?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back