Measuring salinity from garage water mixing station

mpatterson42

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 6, 2024
Messages
684
Reaction score
755
Location
Phoenix
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water mixing station is in my garage, which can have temperatures anywhere from 40F to 110F. Is there a way for me to accurately measure the salinity given those temperature swings?

I was looking at a Milwaukee MA871 Refractor but wanted to see if there was a better option.
 
You could bring a sample of the water inside so it is closer to the water temp in your tank and test it that way.
 
And it's not the ambient temperature of the room I am worried about, it's the temperature of the saltwater (which will be close to the ambient room temperature) and most tools for measuring salinity assume a temperature of around 77F. To heat/cool a sample to that temperature can still take a while.
 
I usually heat mine for a few days while mixing, other than that you could use an auto temperature corecting refractometer, or just bring it in and let it warm up a bit.
 
I have a mixing station in my garage as well. I find that using a hydrometer is reasonably accurate as well as a refractometer, as long as I keep the refractometer in the garage with the water. If the refractometer is the same temp as the sample the temperature compensation seems reasonable. You can also calibrate it with solution you keep in the garage so that it has been calibrated at the same temperature as the sample water.

I do find I need to calibrate refractometers more frequently in the garage and I try to do it whenever there is a change in the weather affecting the temperature.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new