• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Cheap, Tiny, Effective. Pico/nano algae and media reactors now available!

MakerofThings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

So, long story short I am a professional design engineer and run a rapid prototyping company, we specialize in supplying prototypes to all sorts of industries.

Unfortunately, since February 2020 our customer base has completely dried up, we've lost all work, and had to basically shut everything down.

While this sucks, it has given me time to try and pivot into new markets and lower cost items, and of course with reef keeping being my main hobby, I looked there first.

Introducing the PicoTumble, PicoGrow and PicoFree, a simple, cheap and quality solution to media reactors on nano and pico tanks!

While having a big tank is a dream, and a lot of reefers love all the gear they get to play with, more and more people are moving to cities, apartments, and downsizing in general. This has led to a boom in nano tanks and gear, but hasn't seen a real change in the design or manufacturing of this equipment. This means prices are still crazy high.

This is why I've designed this gear.

I use high quality 3D printing, some clever design choices, and simple parts to keep costs down, but performance up! We are printing the majority of parts on these in a high quality ABS which is then sealed for water tightness, and soaked in RODI before being used in conjunction with reef safe lubricant and high quality o-rings to provide excellent performance at a low cost.

This is the PicoTumble, our tiny media reactor! It is just 7 inches tall, 3 inches wide and includes everything you could possibly need to install it. Fittings, valve, orings, spare parts, everything.

All for just $39.95...

IMG_20200811_104837.jpg
IMG_20200811_115112.jpg

AND YOU CAN PICK A COLOR!
Small Black.jpg
Small Blue.png
Small Orange.png

Then we have a neat little idea... ever wanted to add more biological filtration to your tank? maybe you've got some sort of experiment you want to run? or just need a bigger version of the PicoTumble to fit in a tight space on your big tank?

Well here is the PicoFree! A 12 inch tall version of the PicoTumble that also includes a swirl inducing plate to allow for maximum water flow through heavy media. Just $49.95.

Tall Black.png
tall blue.png
Tall Orange.jpg

And then my absolute personal favorite is the PicoGrow! A 12 inch tall, 3 inch wide, high flow algae/cheato reactor for nano and pico tanks!
This is PERFECT for AIO tanks where there isn't room for a refugium, or pico tanks to hang on the back.

I've been running this one on my 5 gallon marineland for a week now and I've seen better numbers, explosions of pods and huge growth.
Included is EVERYTHING you need to run it for $59.95! LEDs, power supply, fittings, extras.

All the kits are designed to run on your return pump, or an accessory pump we also sell.
We also have a range of mounts for different applications.

Pico system poster.jpg

The first batch of 25 units (17 remaining) are available to order on my site

Shipping for the first batch is mid September, I can't afford to have stock sadly and parts take a little time to source as we are using all US based parts.

https://makerofthingsdesign.com/printed-aqua

Happy to answer any questions here!
Thanks!

IMG_20200811_104837.jpg Small Black.jpg Small Blue.png Small Orange.png Tall Black.png tall blue.png Tall Orange.jpg IMG_20200811_151104.jpg IMG_20200811_151109.jpg IMG_20200811_153818-01-01.jpg IMG_20200811_153842.jpg IMG_20200812_141320-01.jpeg IMG_20200812_141511.jpg IMG_20200811_115112.jpg

Mattiejay6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now this is pretty cool! I really like your design and what you are doing.. even though I have a waterbed 100.3 you have me thinking about how I wanna use a reactor just to use one because they are so slick!

OP
OP
MakerofThings

MakerofThings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now this is pretty cool! I really like your design and what you are doing.. even though I have a waterbed 100.3 you have me thinking about how I wanna use a reactor just to use one because they are so slick!

Thanks! I appreciate it! Eventually I'll be doing some bigger ones in the same design! Hopefully we can get something together that can help you out!

Mattiejay6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I appreciate it! Eventually I'll be doing some bigger ones in the same design! Hopefully we can get something together that can help you out!

You should design an Algae scrubber! seems like you have the means and skills and the current options out there.. well one is awesome, but so hard to get and rarely in production, and the other are ok, they are functional, but lack.

OP
OP
MakerofThings

MakerofThings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should design an Algae scrubber! seems like you have the means and skills and the current options out there.. well one is awesome, but so hard to get and rarely in production, and the other are ok, they are functional, but lack.

Yeah, I've thought about that actually! Just a matter of making it user friendly.

Currently I'm working on a cheaper, coral focus bandsaw, a phyto farm/doser and an auto water change system for nanos.

But I actually have had an algae scrubber in prototype/testing for a while, it's just a lot of work to bring it into a production style product.

PK3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can the PicoGrow run internally in water? Like in one of the compartments in one of the bigger AIOs?

OP
OP
MakerofThings

MakerofThings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can the PicoGrow run internally in water? Like in one of the compartments in one of the bigger AIOs?
Thanks for asking! Technically it can as the LEDs are rated to be waterproof, but I can't say for sure how it would do in salt water.

You're welcome to try. TECHNICALLY it should be fine, but I'd keep a very close eye on it.

OP
OP
MakerofThings

MakerofThings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what would be max flow in a pico carbon reactor
Well, it has a ball valve so you can turn the flow down just to the reactor, so technically you could drive it with most larger pumps without a problem.

As for the max flow with carbon, I'm not sure on an exact number. I tested with a 160gph pump and it tumbled a little aggressively so I turned it down a little via the ball valve.

reefing89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These look very promising and I would buy one right away, but sadly I don’t think I can wait til mid sept.

OP
OP
MakerofThings

MakerofThings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These look very promising and I would buy one right away, but sadly I don’t think I can wait til mid sept.
Thanks, that's a shame. It's only a 2-3 weeks at this point, probably sooner. It's the soonest I can get all the parts and keep everything US made.

twiatr2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
where are you guys located and where from, I took a look at your website and couldn't find anything, just curious?

twiatr2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do you guys work with Taylor from exotic marine systems?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back