Cheato to help battle Dino?

eqbal9947

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if I were to keep my Chaeto refugium light on DURING the day and/or instead of at night, would the chaeto use up nutrients that the Dinos need and help me in the fight?
I am battling high phosphate 0.14ppm, so it can have it on longer without bottoming my nutrients. (I'm also doing nitrate, having a harder time keeping that up)

Thanks!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It don't think it will matter. If the dinos dissapear at night, try a uv. If they don't, just keep the phosphate up (something like 0.05-0.1ppm)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
about 2 months
Hmm. If you have had dinos with high levels of phosphate (or they haven't gone away after raising phosphate for that period of time, maybe consider adding some bacterial cocktails. Consider things like pns probio, dr tims waste away / eco baance, etc., or even aquaforest lifesource I'd double check the test too. Btw I am guessing you found the dino species by using a microscope?

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if I were to keep my Chaeto refugium light on DURING the day and/or instead of at night, would the chaeto use up nutrients that the Dinos need and help me in the fight?
I am battling high phosphate 0.14ppm, so it can have it on longer without bottoming my nutrients. (I'm also doing nitrate, having a harder time keeping that up)

Thanks!
What are you using to raise nitrates? Some algaes will use the same nutrients as dinoflagellates, it’s important to choose a nitrates source that doesn’t contain nitrogen or potassium to raise the nutrient. Are you feeding pellets or frozen at the moment?

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the Dino are the type that disappear during lights out than consider using diatom filter or polishing filter such as the MarineLand Magnum Polishing Filter. Best used with diatom but the polishing filter should remove them as well. Plus tank will be crystal clear to the point the fish appear to be swimming through air.

OP
OP
eqbal9947

eqbal9947

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. If you have had dinos with high levels of phosphate (or they haven't gone away after raising phosphate for that period of time, maybe consider adding some bacterial cocktails. Consider things like pns probio, dr tims waste away / eco baance, etc., or even aquaforest lifesource I'd double check the test too. Btw I am guessing you found the dino species by using a microscope?
yup, used a microscope. I had high phosphates from reef roids but my nitrates were bottomed out
What are you using to raise nitrates? Some algaes will use the same nutrients as dinoflagellates, it’s important to choose a nitrates source that doesn’t contain nitrogen or potassium to raise the nutrient. Are you feeding pellets or frozen at the moment?
Im using Neo Nitro

OP
OP
eqbal9947

eqbal9947

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the Dino are the type that disappear during lights out than consider using diatom filter or polishing filter such as the MarineLand Magnum Polishing Filter. Best used with diatom but the polishing filter should remove them as well. Plus tank will be crystal clear to the point the fish appear to be swimming through air.
they are not the type that go in the water column

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup, used a microscope. I had high phosphates from reef roids but my nitrates were bottomed out

Im using Neo Nitro
You need to change the neonitro, it’s made of mainly organic nutrients that will be feeding the dinoflagellates

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you suggest?
and theyre on frozen and flakes
Calcium nitrate or potassium nitrate will have less nitrogen. if possible hold on the flakes until the dinoflagellates are gone.

OP
OP
eqbal9947

eqbal9947

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium nitrate or potassium nitrate will have less nitrogen. if possible hold on the flakes until the dinoflagellates are gone.
any brand in mind? and ill hold off on the flakes.
They've actually receded in the last month when i was won vacation. I think some other green algae have been out competing them. so theres not alot left

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any brand in mind? and ill hold off on the flakes.
They've actually receded in the last month when i was won vacation. I think some other green algae have been out competing them. so theres not alot left
Amazon has a few brands available I can’t sent you a link as am on the other side of the pond. Most types of phytoplankton will outcompete dinoflagellates as they require the same nutrients, diatoms is fairly commonly used for that same reason. The only difference between dinoflagellates and diatoms is that diatoms are limited in growth by the availability of silica.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Thanks!
Dino is a flagellate and needs and uses light to build its cells and multiply.
Phosphates often elevate from food/feeding and reef roids is often a culprit for high Phos

OP
OP
eqbal9947

eqbal9947

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dino is a flagellate and needs and uses light to build its cells and multiply.
Phosphates often elevate from food/feeding and reef roids is often a culprit for high Phos
Yeah, but I was wondering If i could combat both by keeping chaeto light on longer than normal

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Im using Neo Nitro

Hmm thats weird. Dinos typically don't seem to correlate with nitrate bottom out. Usually this is related to cyano, spirulina, etc.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hmm thats weird. Dinos typically don't seem to correlate with nitrate bottom out. Usually this is related to cyano, spirulina, etc.
zero nitrate and Phos will promote dino. Elevated nitrate and phos will support cyano

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back