Check Those Bulkheads!

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was doing some regular weekly maintenance yesterday and just decided to shine a flashlight onto the bulkheads way in the back of the stand - and found my main drain line bulkhead covered in wet salt. I wiped it off and tried that thing where you ignore something and it goes away...then a few hours later I came back and it was definitely wet again, so that didn't work.

It's extremely hard to access - but I tried tightening it with a wrench (lightly) and a serious drip started that I couldn't stop. The little bracket part was fused to the bulkhead itself, and I couldn't even twist it loose without some serious effort and I kept losing grip and almost destroying the tank.

Long story short, I had to drain the overflow, cut off the old plumbing and replace with a new bulkhead. Definitely not ideal working with power tools under the tank with 200g sitting above me. Some of y'all do this a lot - but this was a new experience for me and it involved a great deal of panicking.

I'm just glad I found it before it just completely failed. So....check those bulkheads!

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I commend you for having a spare on hand. I do the same as well.

OP
OP
bevo5

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I commend you for having a spare on hand. I do the same as well.

Oh - I didn't. Before I fully diagnosed the issue I called around and found a LFS that had some. I got two and then came home to sort it out. I figured it was Sunday and stuff would be closing early so it was best to just go get one.

I am now ordering a spare gate valve and tubing, though. And a couple smaller bulkheads for the return lines. I want to be able to replace whatever comes up.

The key was using the Drimmel multi-tool to cut out the old one. That thing ate through the plastic with ease, and it's easy to get a good straight cut with it. Was way easier to remove than I thought it would be.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh - I didn't. Before I fully diagnosed the issue I called around and found a LFS that had some. I got two and then came home to sort it out. I figured it was Sunday and stuff would be closing early so it was best to just go get one.

I am now ordering a spare gate valve and tubing, though. And a couple smaller bulkheads for the return lines. I want to be able to replace whatever comes up.

The key was using the Drimmel multi-tool to cut out the old one. That thing ate through the plastic with ease, and it's easy to get a good straight cut with it. Was way easier to remove than I thought it would be.
I broke both my return bulkheads from removing tubing for routine cleaning. I also keep spares of heaters, return pumps, ato pumps, protein skimmers, misc water moving pumps, hydrometers, and I also keep my old lighting just in case cause you never know with this hobby. lol

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's so scary... I've been to your house and that tank is enormous and those bulkheads are indeed way back there. Yikes. Way to catch it man! Hope the rest of the tank is still doing awesome!

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always had flexible easy change out bulk heads except once. My 180 I hard plumbed everything because it looked cool up until I had to make a change, that cool look went out to the trash pile.

OP
OP
bevo5

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have always had flexible easy change out bulk heads except once. My 180 I hard plumbed everything because it looked cool up until I had to make a change, that cool look went out to the trash pile.
Are you just using threaded connectors then? For some reason I’m skeptical of those. I will say this multi tool thing made extremely short work out of the pvc. Getting it out was the easiest part.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you just using threaded connectors then? For some reason I’m skeptical of those. I will say this multi tool thing made extremely short work out of the pvc.
I like using the Aqueon overflow kits with their bulk heads along with spa flex and stainless hose clamps

OP
OP
bevo5

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I picked up a purple tang from you during a snowstorm a while back. :eek:

He's almost 5" long now! Big chonky boy.

Ah cool - I don't even remember moving a purple tang. That just means there are too many fish over the years! I have one now that is about that big. I love those guys - he just bullies everyone.

OP
OP
bevo5

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yea fair enough. Must have been 3-4 years ago at this point.

Ah yeah - that was during the 'tear it all down' stage I was in. I switched the tank to freshwater for a year then ended up switching it back and being angry that I sold all my equipment. Seems like the cycle people go through in this hobby....

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Ah yeah - that was during the 'tear it all down' stage I was in. I switched the tank to freshwater for a year then ended up switching it back and being angry that I sold all my equipment. Seems like the cycle people go through in this hobby....
You broke down saltwater to go fresh ? Wow.. never thought someone would.

glad you got your problem fixed that could have been Bad

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back