Check your older Wav Impellers for rust!!!

BetURWrasse

Dysfunctional Veteran
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a Wav starter kit in 2016. I had to get one replaced last year due to a short in the line somewhere. Neptune was great to work with even though the power head was out of the warranty period. The new one has the light coating on the magnet.

BUT now the other started to stop working, I opened it up to clean and saw that it split on both sides of the magnet and there is what appears to be rust. I contacted Neptune but this time they say I need to buy a new $50 impeller. I understand that it is 2 years old but not even a discount on a replacement part that is failing and rusting in my tank? Is this an expected failure that I should be expecting every couple years?

Any way CHECK YOUR IMPELLERS

IMG_5513.JPG
IMG_5514.JPG

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the reason I check my Ecotech MP10's regularly. I know that the MP40 and MP60 were notorious for having the rust through, but I still paranoia check my mp10's. Glad you found it. I'm not familiar with them to know if its a common issue.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say what a useful life should be for one of these. $50 does seem excessive for an impeller assembly - though this IS reefkeeping after all. I've had pump impellers last 20 years and had them fail after only one. I think the most important thing is as crabs notes - be checking them regularly.

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the difference between the black and grey? I have also had mine reworked and another completely replaced. Any idea what material the white shaft is made from? Glass? I just broke it while cleaning. Has anyone tried to repair these given $50 to replace?

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the difference between the black and grey? I have also had mine reworked and another completely replaced. Any idea what material the white shaft is made from? Glass? I just broke it while cleaning. Has anyone tried to repair these given $50 to replace?

The white shaft is ceramic.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back