Checking in on the BRS160: Second update for 2018 | BRStv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Would you run the Triton Method?

• Already running Triton

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • Yes, but on the fence

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • Interested

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Not at all

Votes: 41 44.1%

• Total voters

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's that time again!

We've got a new update for the BRS160 where we open the discussion to the real successes and real issues with the tank so far, as well as discuss known challenges with Triton and how they are working to resolve them.

AND... Looking into the future we can expect to see an update for the ULM tanks, Clown Harem tank, results for elevated Alk/Ca testing and an intro into something new from BRS/WWC!

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank. It's been really cool to watch this tank progress :)

So I know that BRS is mostly a dry-goods company.. but it seems like you guys have no trouble growing corals. Have you ever considered having a WYSIWYG frag section on your site? Even if only to unload some of the frags that the BRS 160 (or even customer service tanks) produce? I don't imagine that coral sales would become a significant portion of your revenue unless you put some serious money into an aquaculture facility. But, there's no denying that the BRS brand has some serious trust in the community, and I would imagine that BRS frags would be well-received by most.

Maybe the frags page could be a first-come first-serve, and only come up for sale when the tanks around Bulk Reef Supply need to be trimmed?

PopaSmurph

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running Triton since January and I must agree that the fuge take up the nutrients before the algae can take a hold of it. My tank has been running a little over 7 months and I've yet to clean the glass and only 2 rocks (that I used to seed the dead rock) have a little bit of algae on them otherwise I missed the whole ugly algae bloom step. I am running a uv sterilizer 24/7 so I know that has a contribution but to what extent I wonder. Cant wait to see what the sps ulm looks like and how often you guys clean your glass in comparison to my glass.

aarbutina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank. It's been really cool to watch this tank progress :)

So I know that BRS is mostly a dry-goods company.. but it seems like you guys have no trouble growing corals. Have you ever considered having a WYSIWYG frag section on your site? Even if only to unload some of the frags that the BRS 160 (or even customer service tanks) produce? I don't imagine that coral sales would become a significant portion of your revenue unless you put some serious money into an aquaculture facility. But, there's no denying that the BRS brand has some serious trust in the community, and I would imagine that BRS frags would be well-received by most.

Maybe the frags page could be a first-come first-serve, and only come up for sale when the tanks around Bulk Reef Supply need to be trimmed?

I was kinda thinking the same thing as I was watching this one and Ryan mentioned that they were going to be fragging some of the colonies. I was wondering if there were really enough tanks around the office to accommodate all the cuttings.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running Triton since January and I must agree that the fuge take up the nutrients before the algae can take a hold of it. My tank has been running a little over 7 months and I've yet to clean the glass and only 2 rocks (that I used to seed the dead rock) have a little bit of algae on them otherwise I missed the whole ugly algae bloom step. I am running a uv sterilizer 24/7 so I know that has a contribution but to what extent I wonder. Cant wait to see what the sps ulm looks like and how often you guys clean your glass in comparison to my glass.

I'm not going to give a spoiler here for the upcoming ULM update episode, but here is the part of the most recent ULM video that shows some of the challenges we've already faced on the SPS tank which I'm sure you've already seen. HERE

Ben Henwood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this poll was 6 months ago, I would have answered YES 100%. But my reef is too expensive to switch over to a system that is not reliably in stock ALL THE TIME. I waited over 6 months on Triton to get their act together and get the supplements out to the masses. Ive moved on to other options that I feel will work just as good.

Sunny Goold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm probably going to use Kalkwasser and then Triton 3a 3b plus use their testing every few months. The KZ method seems complex. The thing that concerned me in this video was all the extra elements BRS needed to add. I'm assuming the corals are burning through those elements at a faster rate (the fuge burns through more iodine). Still I would have thought if those higher burn rates are common that Triton would have a single supplement or a version of 3a / 3b with elevated levels. I was considering RedSea but all the supplements scared me off to Triton. Now I have to reconsider.

I also loved the analysis series of different additives. I assume Triton probably has to have very low levels of those nasty contaminants or it would show up on their ICP. I wonder how safe I am to assume that Triton does have low contaminants compared to others. It's a reason why I like the idea of Triton - it just seems like a straight forward method that if you follow you will get results.

Reef Jedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's that time again!

We've got a new update for the BRS160 where we open the discussion to the real successes and real issues with the tank so far, as well as discuss known challenges with Triton and how they are working to resolve them.

AND... Looking into the future we can expect to see an update for the ULM tanks, Clown Harem tank, results for elevated Alk/Ca testing and an intro into something new from BRS/WWC!

You guys are awesome! Can you give me more details of your lighting spectrum? What spectrum are you running on the BRS 160? Kessils compared to Radions, what spectrum would that translate to with the Radion?

Jack22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great. This series has been a huge help for me setting up my first tank.

I’m planning on switching from LED to a T-5 LED hybrid. Going with the aquatic life T5 hybrid to go with my existing LED. I was wondering what bulbs you would recommend? What bulbs are you using on the BRS 160?

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming the corals are burning through those elements at a faster rate (the fuge burns through more iodine). Still I would have thought if those higher burn rates are common that Triton would have a single supplement or a version of 3a / 3b with elevated levels. I was considering RedSea but all the supplements scared me off to Triton. Now I have to reconsider.

I don't really think that they are burning through them at a higher rate than any tank, its just that there is a measure (via ICP) of what and how much too add and how often. Other systems also add these elements, but in disguise within other products and are generally added intuitively for the advanced reefers, when they know which product helps their reef.

Triton does have a version of 3a/3b that helps with the refugium uptake. It is the Core 7 as opposed to the Base Elements.

A great video and a tank that is coming on leaps and bounds, only wish I could emulate the same success.

Reab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe it has been so long. I remember when the first video came out and I was so excited to keep up with the series. I absolutely have to applaud this company for EVERYTHING they do to promote good practice and knowledge to all levels of reefers. The level of dedication this team has put forward is an accomplishment within itself. I feel that I speak for all the younger reefers, THANK YOU!!!

Sunny Goold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really think that they are burning through them at a higher rate than any tank, its just that there is a measure (via ICP) of what and how much too add and how often. Other systems also add these elements, but in disguise within other products and are generally added intuitively for the advanced reefers, when they know which product helps their reef.

Triton does have a version of 3a/3b that helps with the refugium uptake. It is the Core 7 as opposed to the Base Elements.

A great video and a tank that is coming on leaps and bounds, only wish I could emulate the same success.
Ahh thanks Joe. Yeah I just did some more research and that is correct. Now I also realise I can't mix Triton with Kalkwasser.

Anyhow all this is super educational. Now I'm going to have to find another supplement to use with Kalk and weight that against just going full Triton ;) Thanks again Joe and of course BRS who are just the best resource for reefers ;)

GregOyeah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys didn’t mention or follow up whether the nitrate dosing ever helped with your red slime issues in the tank.

The plan I believe was to keep nitrates at 2ppm and seeing if balancing out nitrate and phosphate levels would reduce or eliminate the red slime. In the video you guys said you could never get detectable nitrate, so has the red slime still remained in the tank?

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there has been "less" red slime but we have been unsuccessful getting nitrates over zero.

BeSaltyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely like to see more on the alk and ph series, you guys are awesome and I watch and rewatch many of the episodes trying to just constantly learn everything I can. Thank you

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking awesome! I will agree with the coraline statement that ryan made. I couldn't grow it to save my life. But I think the implementation of dosing 2 part and adding in the t5s help, my back wall and bottom are almost completely covered in coraline now. :) awesome update!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there has been "less" red slime but we have been unsuccessful getting nitrates over zero.
I started using Neo-Nitro as directed and only seeing a slight increase of .2 ppm so I started adding a bit more liberal and adding that to my top-off. the results are dramatic, I am now seeing colors that I never knew the coral was capable of producing. BTW thats about 5oz per 5 gallon topoff that I replenish every 3-4 days. I Just ordered 2 of your larger sized containers (1000ml = 20$) so apparently this will have to be the NEW or FUGE-4-PART solution.

Last edited:

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great. This series has been a huge help for me setting up my first tank.

I’m planning on switching from LED to a T-5 LED hybrid. Going with the aquatic life T5 hybrid to go with my existing LED. I was wondering what bulbs you would recommend? What bulbs are you using on the BRS 160?

we almost always go blue plus and then supplement with whiter LED settings.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ryanbrs congrats on the new baby! Now you get to watch moana repeatedly again ;Hilarious do you know if it's a boy or a girl? Cuz if it's a boy Zach is always a good strong name ;)

wwhite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a light swap and just glanced over it . Tank is looking very nice but was hoping for maybe more in-depth details. Maybe on the next update.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 66 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back