Checking Water Daily???

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to saltwater aquariums and read in a book that you have to check your aquariums water daily. I found some aquarium test strips, but was wondering what to check, and how. Any help would be appreciated.

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would NOT recommend test strips. Even API is better then test strips and API isn’t even recommended. I would at least pick up some salifert test kits as they’re affordable and a lot more reliable and accurate then API. I only test daily if I’m trying to dial in a certain element.

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. But how often would i test, and how exactly would i? is there a specific amount or something? Also which test kits would i need, theres a lot

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. But how often would i test, and how exactly would i? is there a specific amount or something?
Get a liquid test kit and follow the instructions. If you’re cycling you really only have to monitor ammonia and nitrates. I’d say every 3-4 days for ammonia and test for nitrates about the same. Once nitrates start registering then your close to the end of cycle

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll certainly be testing your water daily during its initial cycle (for ammonia and, later, nitrates), and you should certainly do the same for salinity, but this need lessens once your tank becomes established and you become more aware of your tank and its inhabitants.

DO get a refractometer for salinity and DO get calibration solution for it. Test once per day.

DO get a decent test for ammonia and test once per day.

Nitrates can be tested once a day as well.

You can leave most of the other tests for now.

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. But how often would i test, and how exactly would i? is there a specific amount or something?
Testing is important early on, when cycling. After the tank is cycled the parameters shouldn't change too much, as long as you are doing water changes and not overfeeding. I tested every 3 days for the first few months and saw pretty much no fluctuation in levels after my first month with the tank. Really comes down to peace of mind. The only thing over testing hurts is your wallet.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the beginning test NO3 and PO4 weekly. Before and right after adding your first corals Test Alk, Ca, and Mg. Test Alk and PO4 once a week, test the others once a month. After the tank starts consuming Alk faster than water changes can compensate for, test the Alk, then wait 3 days and test again at the same time. This will tell you the daily consumption rate. You can then start to dose equal amounts of Alk and Ca. Continue testing weekly on the same day and at the same time.
I use the Hanna checker for PO4 and Alk. They cost a bit up front, but the refills for them are only 9 bucks, cheaper than anything else.

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing is important early on, when cycling. After the tank is cycled the parameters shouldn't change too much, as long as you are doing water changes and not overfeeding. I tested every 3 days for the first few months and saw pretty much no fluctuation in levels after my first month with the tank. Really comes down to peace of mind. The only thing over testing hurts is your wallet.
Note, there are more elements in a reef system. When I read the original post I didn't look at your screen name.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll add this: try not to overtest for anything but ammonia during initial cycling. Your parameters can get really out of whack and you can drive yourself insane chasing numbers when all you need is time and water changes. Water changes will take care of almost all of your trace elements unless you have a very heavy coral load. And you won't, of course, during your cycle.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to saltwater aquariums and read in a book that you have to check your aquariums water daily. I found some aquarium test strips, but was wondering what to check, and how. Any help would be appreciated.
Everyone will have different opinions on when to test, but that's alright! The hobby has evolved to have many approaches and practices, and at the end of the day so long as it works out for the live stock you want to keep and for you, then well I think that's fine.

Personally, I test all parameters at the start after you have set it up with water and so on, but before cycling. Just to see what the baseline is like re: pH, kH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, calcium, etc. Then, depending on how you cycle (and what you even envision 'cycling' to mean, yes there are many different viewpoints on that too) determines when and what you test.

For me, 'cycling' is just the first step, establishing the microbes associated with the nitrogen cycle you are after to a point where they can handle the amount of nitrogen compounds produced by a full tank stock that I want them to handle. So for my latest aquarium, it is ammonia and nitrite. I measure ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate everyday to see how everything progress. While some say testing nitrite is not necessary until ammonia starts to decrease, and nitrate not necessary until nitrite starts to decrease (or even necessary at all until the end of the cycle), I personally always just want to know. If anything goes wrong, I think it's great to just have all the information on hand to base judgments upon.

But yeah, again, everyone has their own approaches. And that's (generally) fine. ^_^

Tldr; ammonia, nitrite, nitrate everyday.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome btw! Feel free to ask away with what ever you have question on. Everyone on here would be more than happy to help out.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back