Chelsey's 100 gallon Cube Tank Build

chadfarmer

profilux in the house
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it's a little cold to go outside and hose down my sump, but we did manage to get the holes drilled in the stand and foam today. Later this afternoon I'll be going to a graphics store and getting some black vinyl sticker stuff to put on the back of my tank (instead of painting it). I also found out that my rock will make it to Marco rocks Wednesday and they hope to ship it out that day or Thursday (which is good, because I've been waiting forever! :p )

i am glad you went to the graphics store so i didnt have too:hammer:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You would think these two were married.....blah!

Oh my offer still stands when your ready...:D

OP
OP
Chelsey

Chelsey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would think these two were married.....blah!

:hammer:

On a more productive note, my light hanger thingamajigs came in today. They're quite a bit smaller than I had originally thought, I hope that they can hold my canopy ok 8-[ I got these:http://www.sunlightsupply.com/product.cfm?sid=A8FE0105E0815D5534CA9346282EC1B7&p=388&cs=products%2Ecfm%3Fsid%3DA8FE0105E0815D5534CA9346282EC1B7%26c%3D48%26kys%3D%26pgi%3D1

And they're rated 40 lbs each (I got 2, there's no way that the canopy weighs 80 lbs).

OP
OP
Chelsey

Chelsey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I drained my sump this past weekend and tonight I cleaned the heck out of it. I'll be siliconing in baffles tomorrow, so while I was cleaning I marked where the baffles will be going as well. My original sump had baffles in it and I loved the compartmentalization of it, it kept things organized, but when that sump blew I had to get a new one in a hurry and didn't have time for the silicone to dry properly.

On another note...
I had a pair of black percs and a golden dwarf angel in my sump that I had to move to a 20 long until the cube is up. Well, I went to feed my fishies tonight and apparently the heater malfunctioned...the water was very cold and the fish were dead :( One of those percs I have had for over a year, and the golden was eating great :( My poor fish :( At least they went to sleep instead of suffocating like they would've if the water got too hot.

OP
OP
Chelsey

Chelsey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canopy is up and the lights are in and look great! :) We had more than a little trouble finding a stud, despite having a studfinder...this house is rigged :rolleyes:

From my doorway:
canopy1.jpg

From the futon:
canopy2.jpg

OP
OP
Chelsey

Chelsey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're pretty spiffy, that's for sure! It seems like they have more of a downward cast than the lumenarcs, but we'll see.

OP
OP
Chelsey

Chelsey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I've only had them on once and have not owned lunenarcs, but lumenarcs are no longer being produced so you might not have a choice ;) My observation so far has been that lumenbrights have a more direct downward spread but still cover a large area, just brighter in the middle.

Another small update, my marco rocks have shipped out today and will be here Friday! :)

mbunaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not stopping prodcution of Lumenarcs. The story behind that is Coralvue was making the Lumenacrs for Pacific garden. Pacific garden did not like the quality so they stopped the orders. So Coralvue continued to make them and sell them under the same name. So coralvue wont make the inferior lumenarc's anymore. Lumenbrights are only for people who can mount them 12" or higher. If you cant they you get a beam effect. To get a true lumenarc you must order it directly from Pacific Garden.

OP
OP
Chelsey

Chelsey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. That's interesting. I've got a buddy that is in the dry goods business and he was the one that told me they were out. Thanks for clearing that up!

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information. mbunaman, if I order from Pacific Garden to buy a Lumenarc reflector from them do you think they are better than the Lumen Bright's? Also how high should the Lumenarc's be if you recommend the Lumen Bright's 12" or higher off the waters surface?

OP
OP
Chelsey

Chelsey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small update:

My Marco rocks are finally coming tomorrow! I've got a "curing vat" all set up, just need to add water and vinegar :) I also managed to plumb the drains today, but I'm going to wait until I get a confirmation from the boss (aka Chad) that it looks good before I go and glue it together. I'm supposed to be studying for my genetics exam that I have tomorrow, but this was so tempting!

mbunaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information. mbunaman, if I order from Pacific Garden to buy a Lumenarc reflector from them do you think they are better than the Lumen Bright's? Also how high should the Lumenarc's be if you recommend the Lumen Bright's 12" or higher off the waters surface?

Lumenarcs are great if you dont have the canopy height. The lumen brights seem really nice but you need to mount them 12" or higher. If you dont you get a centered beam effect. Ex: a flashlight. I feel that Lumenarcs use a better grade of aluminum. I have worked with Aluminun in different grades. And thieir is a difference. It all personal choice.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back