Chemi-Pure Blue Blocking Water-flow in ReefMat?

TooManyNameOptions

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been running a RedSea ReefMat 500 on my 115 gallon tank for a couple months now, with Reef-Spec Charcoal in the bottom cage with no issues. At my last water change, LFS recommended switching to Chemi-Pure Blue to help with some phosphate issues, and I switched out the Reef-Spec Charcoal bag.

Problem is, the Chemi-Pure bag hardly lets any water flow through. When I install it in the cage below the ReefMat, water can’t filter through and the ReefMat fills up to the sensor, then rolls it’s fleece so often I burned through 60+ feet in 4 days before I realized what was happening.

For now, I have the cage removed and just sitting in the sump, but I feel like I’m losing out on the benefit of the water flowing through the Chemi-Pure, instead of just around it. Curious if anyone else has had this issue and how you resolved, or any other suggestions?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue won't help with phosphate in saltwater unfortunately (according to Dr. Randy Holmes Farley on here). If you are worried about flow, consider using carbon like normal (NOT LIGNITE; get a quality carbon) and add a pinch of gfo into the bag

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TooManyNameOptions

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue won't help with phosphate in saltwater unfortunately (according to Dr. Randy Holmes Farley on here). If you are worried about flow, consider using carbon like normal (NOT LIGNITE; get a quality carbon) and add a pinch of gfo into the bag
He recommended the Blue for cyano and said it would lower phosphates. Curious about that because their website says that’s one of the things it’s for.

What about the flow through the bag? Is this a known issue with Blue?

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 81 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back