Chemi pure elite

Willba200

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. Today I got some chemi pure elite (10.5) its designed for a 90g tank. I'm running the evo 13.5g. So I split the bag and I'm only running a third of it in my tank. Was I correct in doing this? or should I have put the whole lot in my sump? Thanks all

Kaze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? What is your phosphate and nitrate? I wouldn't use it unless really need to keep the numbers under control. Otherwise it's gonna zero out your phosphate and nitrate which might bring you dinos.

I've been using the same method on my QT. Make sure you mix it well inside the original bag before transfer it to another bag. One third of it for 13.5G is way too much. Do some math and use less than what's rated to start with. Check phosphate and nitrate often, remove the bag if numbers are getting too low.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

Willba200

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate is 0.5. Tank is 13months old. I have a slight hair algea issue I'm doing regular water changes with r o obviously. I'm trying to go through options. My zoas are closed up yet everything else in the tank us fine. I have pulsing xenia, mushrooms, torch coral, Duncan coral amongst others. Ive done lights out ive got rid of the foam filter that comes with the evo too.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

Willba200

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
16115174699422526963831563813636.jpg

Upvote 0

Kaze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would do manual removal of hair algae and follow with big water change like 30% every 5-7 days, until phosphate level dropped and monitor nitrate level. You should try figure out the cause of high phosphate before start using any chemical as well. Do you have any clean up crew?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

Willba200

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do water changes every week. My clean up crew is 5 snails 1 sea erchin 1 cleaner shrimp 5 hermit crab. I have a algea bleeny and 1 clown fish.

Upvote 0

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using Chemi Pure Blue a few months ago. Tired of building my own bags of GAC and phosguard. My nitrate and phosphate were never high 3/.07 and it didn't bottom out anything. Have softies and like the toxin removal of media. It's not a homogeneous bag so mix well before splitting otherwise, sure it'll work. Recommended smaller bags of course otherwise you lose the ease of use. If your phosphate are <1.0 you've got nothing wrong, just normal tank.

Btw...going to keep using it. 2-3 months usage seems to be ok. Can I prove it? Nope. But tank is fine and phosphates do appear to come up a bit slower than with phosguard.

Upvote 0

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh...I noticed a slower increase of phosphates over the next several weeks. It wasn't overly dramatic. I could have just replaced phosguard every two weeks. That would be 3-4 times compared to one bag of Chemipure for 7-8 weeks. But did I replace phosguard every two weeks like clockwork? I did not - get lazy, busy and such. That's why I pay for convenience. It's not really a performance issue.

Also, just so you have the whole picture, my phosphate still climbs from .03 to about .20 ppm over 7-8 weeks (instead of 3-4 weeks with phosguard and my laziness). When it gets up to .2 ppm I use lanthanum chloride (about 10 drops) and knock it back down to .03, replace my Chemipure and off and running again for the next two months.

Upvote 0
Back