Chemical alternatives

Formulator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 14, 2024
Messages
2,706
Reaction score
2,759
Location
Saint Louis, MO, USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been reefing for about 9 years but relatively new here. I’ve been poking around the forums for a few months now and really enjoying it! I want to contribute more and was thinking about writing an article that might benefit others as a reference. Something that I see over and over are big problems in newer tanks due to the use of extreme chemicals to combat things that could have been handled by much softer means and a little patience. Example: “oh I have a little spot of cyano - chemiclean will fix it! Oh no, now I have dinos - Dino-X will fix it! Oh no, now I have hair algae - reef flux will fix it! Oh no, all my fish died - this hobby sucks, I’m out!”

So I was thinking about putting together a list of commonly used “fix-in-a-bottle” products, why they are dangerous, the extreme cases in which they might be useful, and the safer alternative courses of action. Before I take the time to put together a comprehensive article, do folks think this would be useful, or likely to fall into the abyss?

If useful, any suggestions of things/products to include are welcomed!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new