Chemiclean Nuked tank!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should note though, that I have no zoas or palys.
I still think this is key... every case I have found that this product has caused massive harm has either had zoas or didn't say if they had them.

evmibo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is due to the lack of O2
In heavily stocked tanks it is absolutely critical to maintain O2 as it will drop suddenly from the respiration of coral.
Keep the skimmer running 100% and get an air-stone running ASAP.

This.

The directions advise to aerate.

Dom274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is due to the lack of O2
In heavily stocked tanks it is absolutely critical to maintain O2 as it will drop suddenly from the respiration of coral.
Keep the skimmer running 100% and get an air-stone running ASAP.

This.

I've seen this happen to others, they always ignore the part in the directions about increasing aeration. It causes a mini cycle due to the die off.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This.

I've seen this happen to others, they always ignore the part in the directions about increasing aeration. It causes a mini cycle due to the die off.
except that in this case he did increase aeration by adding an airstone in the DT.

OP
OP
K

Knapp870

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The things I would have done differently are:
1. Leave skimmer running
2. Larger air stone
3. Dose a little less
4. Maybe start to change water after 24 hours instead of 48

5.not used chemiclean :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The things I would have done differently are:
1. Leave skimmer running
2. Larger air stone
3. Dose a little less
4. Maybe start to change water after 24 hours instead of 48

5.not used chemiclean :)
Outside of number 5 I'm not convinced any of the other 4 would have helped.

I'm struggling with the fact that so many people are insistent you did something wrong. Why are people so in love with this product that they don't want to believe you could do everything right and still have it wipe your tank?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are people so in love with this product that they don't want to believe you could do everything right and still have it wipe your tank?
millions use it

you did something wrong.
or honestly underestimated either air take up or bacterial concentration. And some folks just talk an dont read or are whiners.

Dang, So sorry. Just baffling.

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever figure out what may have caused the losses? I just read the last 4 pages, but it seems like nothing specific has been nailed down.

I ran into a guy a few weeks ago that had a bad cyano bloom in his tank, and I gave him a package of RedCyano Rx. Saw him about a week later at MACNA and he was all smiles, cyanobacteria was gone. That's what I expected, too.

How bad was your outbreak? Did you remove any of it prior to dosing? Did you tank's water turn pink? I've heard of that twice in the past decade, and those people lost their reefs. That's why I asked if you removed the bulk of it first.

How much air did you really add? Was it a wooden airstone, or a ceramic one? Even moving a powerhead up to the surface so it is chopping up air and water to just lather the tank might have helped. Would you say it was plenty of air, or just what you had available but could have been better?

Slightly off topic example: Years ago, I overdosed my tank with Vitamin C and it shut down all my LPS corals. I ran up to the LFS and got a 4" ceramic airstone and hung it so it was parked right in front of a Vortech to blast the bubbles everywhere. I removed my skimmer's collection cup and let it bubble over the body. I opened the door from the fishroom to outside to bring in fresh air and pointed a huge floor fan into the room to help add oxygen. This was on my 280g reef. Fortunately, nothing was killed in that mistake. Here's a picture, but not of that event.
airstone.jpg

OP
OP
K

Knapp870

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a sand air stone. There really wasn't much cyano, maybe a golf ball size in one dead spot area, I had it lying around and watched the video of the inventors son by happenstance say how it didn't use EM and was safe and good to just break up sludge so thought what the heck

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a sand air stone. There really wasn't much cyano, maybe a golf ball size in one dead spot area, I had it lying around and watched the video of the inventors son by happenstance say how it didn't use EM and was safe and good to just break up sludge so thought what the heck

Been there.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That pump is for tanks up to 10g. IMO No way would it be able to supply enough oxygen for a tank your size. Especially not while using ChemiClean.
That wasn't the only source of O2. His overflow and powerheads also provide aeration. This was just a supplement.

I would also question low O2 levels being a problem since his fish showed no signs.

He also saw no signs of low O2 based on his pH readings.

I'm not saying it wasn't a factor, only that many signs point to low O2 not being a factor.

OP
OP
K

Knapp870

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That wasn't the only source of O2. His overflow and powerheads also provide aeration. This was just a supplement.

I would also question low O2 levels being a problem since his fish showed no signs.
That's correct. Honestly my overflow piping imo adds more than enough air from the bubbles I see in sump but idk.

Yes I still struggle to see how lack of oxygen wiped out sps but all fish remained fine

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back