Chemiclean

Relax4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone , I’ve looked for answers for this but haven’t found any. I did a chemiclean treatment , followed directions. Did 25% water change afterwards. Now my tank is full of bubbles . Most everything is doing alright except for one toadstool not happy. So where do I go from here ? Let it run its course or do another water change ! Thanks in advance .

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone , I’ve looked for answers for this but haven’t found any. I did a chemiclean treatment , followed directions. Did 25% water change afterwards. Now my tank is full of bubbles . Most everything is doing alright except for one toadstool not happy. So where do I go from here ? Let it run its course or do another water change ! Thanks in advance .
let it run its course, chemiclean is an antibacterial treatment so there will be a lot of microbial activity for at least several days afterwards while things compete for the new "space/nutrients" that the dead organisms release

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use an alternative air source, if not do (cheap pump and air stone).

If able post up an image.

Siphon out died Cyno with water changes.

OP
OP
Relax4

Relax4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let it run its course, chemiclean is an antibacterial treatment so there will be a lot of microbial activity for at least several days afterwards while things compete for the new "space/nutrients" that the dead organisms release
Thank you!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a thread where rinsing out the sandbed has collected the most cyano cures in one thread, chemical free how many gallons is your tank

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect, nothing is easier than fully cleaning a twenty gallon reef

theres a big difference in what we do vs siphoning sand with it still in the tank, that simply doesn’t fix the issue as it’s not thorough enough. Here is 120 gallon tank doing a rip clean, yours will be much easier. Read his thread real quick and post pics of your tank here and we can easily stop your cyano or dinos whichever it is doesn’t matter

your current nutrient levels dont matter, this resets them

concerns about tank bacteria, not applicable as deep cleans refresh a tank they don’t harm it.

ID of your invader doesn’t matter, this exports all of them at once look at the tap water rinse of the sandbed portion of his work (but rinse your rocks in saltwater only)

Last edited:

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect, nothing is easier than fully cleaning a twenty gallon reef

theres a big difference in what we do vs siphoning sand with it still in the tank, that simply doesn’t fix the issue as it’s not thorough enough. Here is 120 gallon tank doing a rip clean, yours will be much easier. Read his thread real quick and post pics of your tank here and we can easily stop your cyano or dinos whichever it is doesn’t matter

your current nutrient levels dont matter, this resets them

concerns about tank bacteria, not applicable as deep cleans refresh a tank they don’t harm it.

ID of your invader doesn’t matter, this exports all of them at once look at the tap water rinse of the sandbed portion of his work (but rinse your rocks in saltwater only)
DA23E1BB-DE71-41BA-94B2-AF2D415A288F_1_201_a.jpeg

That seems like an intense process for a long term goal. I like the idea of creating a "storm" effect on the tank. So I also have a 5 gal pico tank. Should I put as much as possible in there for now till the sand is rinsed and dried? What if I just throw away that sand and just buy new sand? My tank is only 3 .5 months old. IMG_2592.JPG IMG_2593.JPG IMG_2594.JPG IMG_2595.JPG

Last edited:

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im just realizing that I see that detritus is the issue. I have a piece of dead coral I picked up from the ocean when I was in Hawaii. Is this an example of putting detritus in my tank ?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey that is a really great setup! As much as we like doing tank surgery yours doesnt look bad at all, I can’t even see cyano? Can u post pics with white lights so it will stand out

in a new tank one coral dead won’t hurt anything, the detritus is feed and waste buildup which doesn’t look bad at all above it’s very new

we don’t have to dry and change sand for the new tank. If you ever deep clean it, we just put the sand back after cleaning, above he simply cleaned the sand and put it back wet he didn’t dry or change it out

your tank may not need a deep clean, nor cyano treatments like Chemiclean. New tank issues are commonly diatoms that go away if you just remove them by repeat siphoning weekly, Jon’s reefs had a few years of detritus in the sand when he went to work on it

let’s see white pics of the setup

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey that is a really great setup! As much as we like doing tank surgery yours doesnt look bad at all, I can’t even see cyano? Can u post pics with white lights so it will stand out

in a new tank one coral dead won’t hurt anything, the detritus is feed and waste buildup which doesn’t look bad at all above it’s very new

we don’t have to dry and change sand for the new tank. If you ever deep clean it, we just put the sand back after cleaning, above he simply cleaned the sand and put it back wet he didn’t dry or change it out

your tank may not need a deep clean, nor cyano treatments like Chemiclean. New tank issues are commonly diatoms that go away if you just remove them by repeat siphoning weekly, Jon’s reefs had a few years of detritus in the sand when he went to work on it

let’s see white pics of the setup
PHEW!! Just the thought of doing all of that rinsing was stressing me out already. lol Here are pics on white light. This is day 3 after my last chemiclean attempt. So maybe this is just doing its normal thing nearing the end of the new set up cycle? If this isn't cyano then what do you think it is based on these photos? Brown Diatom?

IMG_2596.JPG IMG_2597.JPG IMG_2598.JPG IMG_2599.JPG

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really looks nice and as it should be for its age.

Rip cleans don't have any consequence, it makes tanks brighter, healthier, stronger it's not an insult so you'd run one only if you want to, but if you lightly remove growths via siphon they may stop like new tanks do when they balance out. If you don't want to wait you can clean it

This thread shows you what a hundred Rip cleans look like

At no time would I ever dose chemi clean in a nano, if you have the urge for a super clean tank a deep clean is the best way. Chemi clean will never beat our results

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really looks nice and as it should be for its age.

Rip cleans don't have any consequence, it makes tanks brighter, healthier, stronger it's not an insult so you'd run one only if you want to, but if you lightly remove growths via siphon they may stop like new tanks do when they balance out. If you don't want to wait you can clean it

This thread shows you what a hundred Rip cleans look like

At no time would I ever dose chemi clean in a nano, if you have the urge for a super clean tank a deep clean is the best way. Chemi clean will never beat our results
Thank you so much Brandon! Im just gonna clean it out as best as I can. Would you suggest I do a black out for a couple of days? Im up for a water change this weekend as well.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no need for blackout just keep topically removing it during water changes and as time goes by if you want to smack it into shape you can !

in my threads we are against killing targets in the tank with meds not due to hating meds, but due to killing targets that are left in the tank to rot and add to waste stores.

topical removal repeatedly is within our actions because it exports mass vs kills it internally

the rip clean is just the highest level export option for any tank that wants the fresh redo, using all the same rocks and sand / just cleaned up.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think that tank is dirty, your in for a ride.

Only thing i see is some diatoms(which will burn out once the available silicates burn out) and some film algae on the glass that will happen regardless of how clean your tank is.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has the nicest new tank uglies phase we‘ve ever seen / good probs

i had to squint to find any invaders. *my motivation was to offset chemi clean in habit of export vs buy something and dose.
this tank doesn’t need ripped or chemi clean, but when time comes for action/kudos for acting early / manual cleaning to some degree vs dosing is best for all nanos.

when you get hair algae on rocks: lift rock up, kill algae off outside of the tank, set rock back ad infinitum. Don’t alter water params around invasion, make water params for growing coral

attack targets directly, this will make your nanos live decades.

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think that tank is dirty, your in for a ride.

Only thing i see is some diatoms(which will burn out once the available silicates burn out) and some film algae on the glass that will happen regardless of how clean your tank is.
The only reason I felt concerned is because on another thread I had posted about my zoas, one guy said that I have cyano algae. Turns out its not red algae after seeing other tanks with real cyano. My turbo snail however does get green hair growing on his shell. I brushed his shell inside of a little glass cup outside of the tank. It keeps coming back on his shell though. He came out of my smaller 5 gal nano tank. Which I took care of that algae issue. That one was green and bright neon lime colored growing all over the sand and on my white dead coral. I tool out the dead coral and cleaned up the sand with several water changes and hasn't come back since.
BTW do you guys think I may have too much sand on the lower peninsula?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back