Chemistry for dummies...

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have triton test results. I use Red Sea supplements. Please tell me 1) the appropriate levels needed for my tank in gallons, of potassium, iron, and iodine 2) how much Red Sea supplements to add based on my levels, and 3) how often (in your experience) I should dose.

Tank is 60 gallon cube with sump volume of about 8 gallons.
Triton potassium 369 ug/l/l (setpoint 400 ug/l)
Triton iron 0.0 ug/l (setpoint 0.1 ug/l)
Triton iodine 0.0 ug/l (setpoint 60 ug/l)

I know this topic has been discussed over and over and I’ve read the threads and articles. Basically I’m a lazy (and terrible) mathematician and my chemistry skills suck. Just please someone tell me what levels I should maintain for a young SPS reef with lots of frags, how much Red Sea supplements to add and how often I should add it based on your experience.

Also, I now have test kits for these three elements so I can test as I go. I just need a place to start.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have triton test results. I use Red Sea supplements. Please tell me 1) the appropriate levels needed for my tank in gallons, of potassium, iron, and iodine 2) how much Red Sea supplements to add based on my levels, and 3) how often (in your experience) I should dose.

Tank is 60 gallon cube with sump volume of about 8 gallons.
Triton potassium 369 ug/l/l (setpoint 400 ug/l)
Triton iron 0.0 ug/l (setpoint 0.1 ug/l)
Triton iodine 0.0 ug/l (setpoint 60 ug/l)

I know this topic has been discussed over and over and I’ve read the threads and articles. Basically I’m a lazy (and terrible) mathematician and my chemistry skills suck. Just please someone tell me what levels I should maintain for a young SPS reef with lots of frags, how much Red Sea supplements to add and how often I should add it based on your experience.

Also, I now have test kits for these three elements so I can test as I go. I just need a place to start.
The specific dosing instructions for the products you'll use will be written on their bottles.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just need a place to start.

If your talking about the 4 bottles of the Red Sea "Color's Program"
You can start by dosing to your reef's calcium intake, per what's directed on the bottles.

So, you will need to not dose calcium for one day and see how much it drop's (testing) to figure... ;Writing out the intake.
Bump up your cal and then let it drop again (second day) and retest for a double check.

FWIW:
The Red Sea potassium kit is nutz... ;Wacky to preform.
Try the Salifert potassium kit.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your talking about the 4 bottles of the Red Sea "Color's Program"
You can start by dosing to your reef's calcium intake, per what's directed on the bottles.

So, you will need to not dose calcium for one day and see how much it drop's (testing) to figure... ;Writing out the intake.
Bump up your cal and then let it drop again (second day) and retest for a double check.

FWIW:
The Red Sea potassium kit is nutz... ;Wacky to preform.
Try the Salifert potassium kit.

Or you can just determine it based on how much of water you are dosing for calcium. One day is not a good measure for calcium, IMO.

Back