Child Lock Ideas

Clueless_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone - I was hoping to get some ideas about child locks for aquarium cabinet doors. We're getting our cabinet doors built right now (without handles) and all I can find are good options that require external door handles.

In an ideal world - we are wanting to use those magnet push doors but I can't seem to find anything that implements a child lock WITH the push-magnet doors.

Oldsman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We used the type that have a latch that pops up to latch the doors , then holding a magnet over the latch they unlock. They screw into door and the latch engages a trim piece to stay locked. Check any box store , they're very inexpensive.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used these on my cabinet. Worked pretty well. They're internal so you never see them

OP
OP
Clueless_Reefer

Clueless_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These unlock using a magnet (key):

So, its funny you suggested these. I did consider them however since the doors are flush and don't have a knob... I'm not sure how this can work since they don't "push open" the door which we'd need since they're flush doors without a knob.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if these can be paired with a spring push lock...? I may have to buy and see if they provide enough travel after the push lock extends out?
They do allow the door to open up a good 1/4 inch or so before they grab. Totally adjustable

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, its funny you suggested these. I did consider them however since the doors are flush and don't have a knob... I'm not sure how this can work since they don't "push open" the door which we'd need since they're flush doors without a knob.
You can use these in unison with your push to open catches. Just push where this is with magnetic key to make it unlatch.

OP
OP
Clueless_Reefer

Clueless_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great ideas guys, I'm actually going to buy both and see which one implements the best. I'll be sure to post photos of the final.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back