Child Lock Ideas

Clueless_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone - I was hoping to get some ideas about child locks for aquarium cabinet doors. We're getting our cabinet doors built right now (without handles) and all I can find are good options that require external door handles.

In an ideal world - we are wanting to use those magnet push doors but I can't seem to find anything that implements a child lock WITH the push-magnet doors.

Oldsman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We used the type that have a latch that pops up to latch the doors , then holding a magnet over the latch they unlock. They screw into door and the latch engages a trim piece to stay locked. Check any box store , they're very inexpensive.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used these on my cabinet. Worked pretty well. They're internal so you never see them

OP
OP
Clueless_Reefer

Clueless_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These unlock using a magnet (key):

So, its funny you suggested these. I did consider them however since the doors are flush and don't have a knob... I'm not sure how this can work since they don't "push open" the door which we'd need since they're flush doors without a knob.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if these can be paired with a spring push lock...? I may have to buy and see if they provide enough travel after the push lock extends out?
They do allow the door to open up a good 1/4 inch or so before they grab. Totally adjustable

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, its funny you suggested these. I did consider them however since the doors are flush and don't have a knob... I'm not sure how this can work since they don't "push open" the door which we'd need since they're flush doors without a knob.
You can use these in unison with your push to open catches. Just push where this is with magnetic key to make it unlatch.

OP
OP
Clueless_Reefer

Clueless_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great ideas guys, I'm actually going to buy both and see which one implements the best. I'll be sure to post photos of the final.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back