Chiller Repair - Reservoir leaking - JBJ Arctica

Ready4Launch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found my chiller leaking water all over my rug. Wonderful. Discovered as I'm cooking dinner.

Took the top off. Water leaking from the reservoir bottom side. Tried to remove and scrape off as much foam insulation to get a good look, but everything was wet. Couldn't tell exactly.

Regardless, I know that this will have to be fixed. I've read on another forum that this is common? What type of epoxy are we talking about using here? JB Weld?

I'm not familiar with refrigerants, and I've not disconnected the refrigerant lines. Anyone have some good guidance or photos for how to disconnect the refrigerant lines, then reconnect, and recharge the refrigerant??/

OP
OP
Ready4Launch

Ready4Launch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called Transworld Aquatic Enterprises. It seems that they do not sell the reservoir and chiller assembly as a replacement part. More awesome! Still looking for help.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about the heat exchanger? If so, what is it made out of? I had one leak once, but it was PVC and some red-hot PVC glue took care of the leak. Solvent and sealer will depend on the type of materials that was used. JBJ should be able to help with this...

OP
OP
Ready4Launch

Ready4Launch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Ready4Launch

Ready4Launch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about the heat exchanger? If so, what is it made out of? I had one leak once, but it was PVC and some red-hot PVC glue took care of the leak. Solvent and sealer will depend on the type of materials that was used. JBJ should be able to help with this...

JBJ was decidely unhelpful actually. Lady on the phone sounded like she didn't care to talk. I'm not entirely sure what its composition is, but it's some kind of poly. I think I may try some JB Weld when I get to that point if someone hasn't recommended something better.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me find what I used at work on an industrial chiller at work. Forgot the exact name so I don't want to guess. It's been solid for 3 years now and still hasn't leaked at all. Also depends on what is leaking in your chiller though. I'll post the link in a few minutes.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called Transworld Aquatic Enterprises. It seems that they do not sell the reservoir and chiller assembly as a replacement part. More awesome! Still looking for help.
I repair chillers for LFS on the side. Hate to say it, but new one is one option. Other options mean more money and money pit possible.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back