Chinese black box’s and canister filters

kodya12345

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running about a year now , maybe a tad bit longer , the softies were a lot bigger the past month or two I cut a bunch of them up and took to lfs and gave a bunch to my buddy and little brother , along with a bunch of mushrooms and zoas , lights are the Phlizon 160 watt lights off Amazon . I’ve got a thin sheet of glass right infront of the light to diffuse it so it isn’t a straight beam in the middle , everything grows and multiplies and appears to be healthy . I know my tank is mostly softy corals . Do you think it would be beneficial for me to upgrade to a nicer set of lights , or considering it’s mostly softies and the watts the lights are and the par they can dish out , compared to a set of lights that is 5 times the cost putting out a high par also . Would it make a drastic difference to the well being of the tank , or would it just make my tank more suitable for harder to grow corals by making the light spread more even ? Idk what do you guys think ? I want to eventually get a different tank with a sump instead of the canister also I just don’t know if spending all the extra money would really do much here ( prolly should of gotten a bubble tip a while back instead of a long tentacle but I got it free from petco like 6 months ago cause it was about dead , same as the bubble coral that same day , and the clown moved into it and won’t leave it lol .

E23F8AB0-08CF-4462-B7E3-76D14FF80761.png 6BCEA7B9-068B-4362-87FE-BAB6F0F9D201.jpeg 104E1AA9-34B8-4FDC-859D-9B940261896A.jpeg 0A7FDC26-15B3-4086-8D57-974F07D51DE4.jpeg

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is how i started. Very impressive :)

OP
OP
kodya12345

kodya12345

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how i started. Very impressive :)
I started with four micro Fluval lights from a few nanos I had , then got the black boxes instead . But I’m thinking of up grading lights to a more reliable / evenly spread, reef made light . Do you think it will make a difference with growth and stuff ? I hate these lights cause I got the remote version and if you want whites and blue at same time they have to stay on the same percentage

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run viparspectra 300 "black boxes" which I think are supposed to.be a but better than Philzon but they suit me fine. Noopsyches are good from what I hear and are relatively inexpensive. Any idea on your budget? What size tank if i missed it?

OP
OP
kodya12345

kodya12345

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run viparspectra 300 "black boxes" which I think are supposed to.be a but better than Philzon but they suit me fine. Noopsyches are good from what I hear and are relatively inexpensive. Any idea on your budget? What size tank if i missed it?
Honestly no budget really , and that’s a little 55 gallon , I was just trying to get confirmation as to if it will make a difference in coral health and growth , cause the black boxes are growing then as is

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO Your tank looks good as is....keep doing what you are doing.....nothing wrong with your tank and corals...

OP
OP
kodya12345

kodya12345

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly no budget really , and that’s a little 55 gallon , I was just trying to get confirmation as to if it will make a difference in coral health and growth , cause the black boxes are growing then as is
Truthfully for the price , they get the job done . I just hate that if you want the white and blue channels on at same time , they both run the same percentage so I can’t turn blue way up with a little white for accents it’s either a ugly yellow color , a blue that drowns everything in dark blue except for the flours scent
IMO Your tank looks good as is....keep doing what you are doing.....nothing wrong with your tank and corals...
alrighty , thanks for taking the time to reply and actually answering the question lol , I just didn’t know if a more spread out expensive light would do better than a weird colored mostly white beam they produce . I do have a price of glass directly infront of both lights to help with diffusion

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back