Chipped bulkhead hole

lonelybones

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 8, 2024
Messages
35
Reaction score
24
Location
usa
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! Tried to drill a 4ft 60g and would like some input weather I should get a new tank or run with it….the hole is 1.5in
IMG_1021.jpeg
IMG_1022.jpeg


IMG_1021.jpeg
 
Hey guys! Tried to drill a 4ft 60g and would like some input weather I should get a new tank or run with it….the hole is 1.5in
IMG_1021.jpeg
IMG_1022.jpeg


IMG_1021.jpeg
Bulked gasket extends beyond that chip it seems, so It may hold. I had a similar issue when I was drilling a 37 for a return bulkhead. It held, albeit at the top of the aquarium and receiving low pressure. But this looks like the bottom?

Personally I would fill it and leak test it outside if I were in your situation.
 
Chip is on outside of tank ? no runs ?
 
Fill it with water and find out
 
Bulked gasket extends beyond that chip it seems, so It may hold. I had a similar issue when I was drilling a 37 for a return bulkhead. It held, albeit at the top of the aquarium and receiving low pressure. But this looks like the bottom?

Personally I would fill it and leak test it outside if I were in your situation.
Sorry for getting back so late, but I finally got around to finishing the tank… I was downgrading from a 75 but I went ahead and picked up another 60 and these holes were very clean this time around… Turns out I got less chip out when I didn’t put a backing plate on the glass and just use masking tape.. MM 1200 gph overflow and 30 gallon refugium
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 44
Chip is on outside of tank ? no runs ?
Ended up picking up another tank, but this is the finished set up… I downgraded from a 75 just because I like a shorter aqua scape for my needs…1200gph mm overflow with 500 reefmat and 30 gallon refugium… will add my reef octopus 110 once my tank gets used to the reefMat.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 80
Why do you need insurance to test if a tank is full lol. Obviously water holding tests are done outside…
In my case, I sorta have to wing it…I live in a townhouse with zero lotline lol. I do have a garage, but currently I have a lift and car in there and am very unorganized… and my entryway is an engine building room so I’m working with the space I got hahahaha.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 9.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new