Chipped corner how to repair

Tim'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I recently purchased a used blue marine reef 200 but the sump has a chipped corner. It holds water just fine tested it for a couple of days and no leaks but I like to reinforce it just to be safe. What would be the best way to do this, any suggestions?

IMG20220129002349.jpg IMG20220129002340.jpg IMG20220129002332.jpg

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a risky guy, I would use it. How big is a sump? also IF it will leak- will you be able to remove it (if its inside cabinet) while you have display tank on top?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a risky guy, I would use it. How big is a sump? also IF it will leak- will you be able to remove it (if its inside cabinet) while you have display tank on top?
Until it happens while you're sleeping. Drains the sump, part of the tank and your pump/ heaters keep running

OP
OP
Tim'sReef

Tim'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies.

How long would you guys leak test it? It's already sitting 10 days filled with water.

Maybe I will epoxy the crack to make it flat and than silicone 2 pieces of glass on top of it to make a extra layer. Like one on the side and back and seal those to the glass and each other if you get my idea. Would that be a good idea or would you guys say it won't matter.

I'm not planning on using this tank forever. My red sea max nano is growing out of control so I needed some extra space. But since I have become a dad recently money goes elsewhere. Probably will only run it for 1 to 1,5 years max till I get a brand new one.

OP
OP
Tim'sReef

Tim'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I will be able to remove it from the cabinet while the display is on top. I'm kinda risky too
The sump is 50 liters or about 13 gallons

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I will be able to remove it from the cabinet while the display is on top. I'm kinda risky too
The sump is 50 liters or about 13 gallons
man for that size, I would just try to pick another used tank. I know you are in the Netherlands, but a standard 20 long or something similar would be much better

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have to agree with the people who say don’t use it. That said if you are determined to repair it epoxy sounds like a good bet.

I’m not too familiar with epoxies or which ones adhere to glass, but I’m sure you could do some research and find out quickly.

that said, I would use rubbing alcohol to clean all the areas they will be epoxied, sand them with a rough grip, probably re-alcohol them. Put on tons of epoxy then sand it flat then Epoxy another layer over the epoxy and glass seams???

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean like make a sump out of a used tank? Could be interesting
yeah for that size I would make/buy new sump also, at same time, 13g is not that much of a pressure for a tank, specially that this is sump. meaning its not going to be full anyways. more like 6-8 gallons of water, which is nothing on that crack.

OP
OP
Tim'sReef

Tim'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all te thoughts guys!

yeah for that size I would make/buy new sump also, at same time, 13g is not that much of a pressure for a tank, specially that this is sump. meaning its not going to be full anyways. more like 6-8 gallons of water, which is nothing on that crack.
That pressure story makes sense to me I think I'm gonna try and repair it. Will be a nice learning experience. When I'm satisfied with the result I will put it in the stand inside a big tub I have laying around. I'm just gonna cycle the tank that way and if it holds for a couple of months I'm just gonna do it.

Time to install a leak detector :D, and with my new born son I have an alarm every 3 hours that can not be shut off anyway :p

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As other have said building a sump is easy. Cheap tank from your LFS, plexiglass sheet from hardware store and some silicone. Beyond that youtube will show you how.

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all te thoughts guys!

That pressure story makes sense to me I think I'm gonna try and repair it. Will be a nice learning experience. When I'm satisfied with the result I will put it in the stand inside a big tub I have laying around. I'm just gonna cycle the tank that way and if it holds for a couple of months I'm just gonna do it.

Time to install a leak detector :D, and with my new born son I have an alarm every 3 hours that can not be shut off anyway :p
How has it been holding up?? Have the same chip in my sump but I decided just to go with a new acrylic sump.

OP
OP
Tim'sReef

Tim'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How has it been holding up?? Have the same chip in my sump but I decided just to go with a new acrylic sump.
Still going strong! Never had any problems and didn't even do the extra glass pieces on the inside. The epoxy holds it very nice. Guess my repair was good enough till now.

In a couple of months it will be replaced by I think a waterbox reef x 90.3 but not completely sure yet.

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still going strong! Never had any problems and didn't even do the extra glass pieces on the inside. The epoxy holds it very nice. Guess my repair was good enough till now.

In a couple of months it will be replaced by I think a waterbox reef x 90.3 but not completely sure yet.
Thats good to hear! I wasn't balsy en

thats good to hear! I wasn’t ballsy enough to take the Risk but mine also had a hairline crack making its way up it. I’ll attach a picture so you can see what I was dealing with.

Attachments

• 9BF49103-CBFC-4C72-B48B-37464DEB3AEB.jpeg
    9BF49103-CBFC-4C72-B48B-37464DEB3AEB.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 60
Back