Chipped corner how to repair

WestMI-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a decent chip on one of mine but it’s held water for 5 years. I really think your safe if 1. The chip leaves 1/8 of glass thickness 2. Chip doesn’t go all the way to silicone.
personally, I would try this one out. 13 gallons is the same size as the aquarium that I have (16” tall) and thats not very much water pressure. If the seal hasn't been compromised where edges meet, you’re most likely good to go.
fill it up with tap water and let it sit for a while if you want to be sure.

Attachments

• 1CB495FD-5F56-433F-A299-E28732B1A68F.jpeg
    1CB495FD-5F56-433F-A299-E28732B1A68F.jpeg
    43.6 KB · Views: 25

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a decent chip on one of mine but it’s held water for 5 years. I really think your safe if 1. The chip leaves 1/8 of glass thickness 2. Chip doesn’t go all the way to silicone.
personally, I would try this one out. 13 gallons is the same size as the aquarium that I have (16” tall) and thats not very much water pressure. If the seal hasn't been compromised where edges meet, you’re most likely good to go.
fill it up with tap water and let it sit for a while if you want to be sure.
Mine looks to be down to the silicone and thats what scares me the most. Also that crack starting to form is kinda freaky. I guess its really not holding much more than probably 10 gallons of water. But better safe than sorry in my case especially since its been used and he got the tank in 2020 so who knows how much life is left on it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back