Chipped corner

Rottenpear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I recently chipped the corner of my Nuvo 20. It's not leaking and still behind the silicone. What do you think? Is it bad?
IMG_20210523_200741.jpg
IMG_20210523_200735.jpg

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I recently chipped the corner of my Nuvo 20. It's not leaking and still behind the silicone. What do you think? Is it bad?
IMG_20210523_200741.jpg
IMG_20210523_200735.jpg
Huh, I also literally just chipped the same corner of my Nuvo20 as well. Coincidence? No, I think our Nuvo20s are quantum-entangled.

I can't tell but is there cracks going into the glass itself? Or just a piece has chipped off?

OP
OP
Rottenpear

Rottenpear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh, I also literally just chipped the same corner of my Nuvo20 as well. Coincidence? No, I think our Nuvo20s are quantum-entangled.

I can't tell but is there cracks going into the glass itself? Or just a piece has chipped off?

That's the problem... not just a chipped-off piece but the crack is going into the glass.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This one has potential to downward slope . I would make a mark at the bottom of split. If the split goes past the line , you know its destiny. There is a possibility that a glass shop may be able to pressure repair it as done on an automobile windshield,

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get a ruler and super fine tipped Sharpie and mark a line perpendicular to the crack.

If the crack goes over your Sharpie line by 1mm or 2mm, time to start tank shopping and do a transfer

SIDENOTE: I would think a big factor would be TEMP. how much does the temp inside tank swing? How much does the air temp of the room swing?

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cracks in glass like that can spread quickly and easily, especially untempered. I would not trust it at all. Any light pressure can make the crack spread quickly.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any crack in a glass tank is gonna fail, best replace it now instead of cleaning up a big mess down the road

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You made the right choice. On the plus side, if there were any aspects of the tank you weren't happy about, this gives you a nice chance to address them. Rockscape, sand removal/replacement, adding in more live rock, etc.

Just trying to keep some positivity in what is otherwise kind of a bummer situation. =)

OP
OP
Rottenpear

Rottenpear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You made the right choice. On the plus side, if there were any aspects of the tank you weren't happy about, this gives you a nice chance to address them. Rockscape, sand removal/replacement, adding in more live rock, etc.

Just trying to keep some positivity in what is otherwise kind of a bummer situation. =)
Yeah, I bought Lagoon 25 so fish are going to have a little bit more space and I will have more space for new corals but before the crack, I was pretty much happy with how the tank looked like :)

Back