Chipped glass corner

Fin-up reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I just bought a 200 gallon reef ready tank and the corners appear to be chipped a few are pretty deep too... I’m not trying to throw out this tank. I keep reading millions of different opinions and idk what to do. I was thinking a glass filler would easily fix it. The seal on the inside is perfect and I was just thinking glass filler would help. What do you think?
2687da034ff16c51e36a704c5b35fb28.jpg
470da9e01616a730aba7aa713b6a3bca.jpg

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, see if you can get the glass to break away ( gently ! of course). Just don't bang it , it should be fine.

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure it would not hurt but as far as I it dont appear to be structurally compromised. However the safer the better always

I would like to see the depth of the chip in reference to the side pane

OP
OP
Fin-up reefing

Fin-up reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure it would not hurt but as far as I it dont appear to be structurally compromised. However the safer the better always

I would like to see the depth of the chip in reference to the side pane

Alrighty will do, and you don’t think the pressure will make it burst? It’s 200 gallons haha

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn't it appears to be more superficial than anything else but a shot from a different angle will help. You must also keep in mind new and undamaged tanks have failed before but that should not burst at least not because of the chip.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that first pic, it looks to me like there are numerous deep fractures. Sorry, but in my opinion, that thing is toast - if what I think I see in that pic is really there (the pics are not very clear). "Glass filler" isn't going to help you. Those small fractures can turn into very large cracks and the shattering of the whole pane of glass very quickly. 200 gallons of salt water can do a whole lot of damage to your home, not to mention the cost of the loss of livestock you may have in the tank. Don't mean to be negative, you asked for opinions. I wouldn't set that up in my house. My 2¢ anyway.

OP
OP
Fin-up reefing

Fin-up reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that first pic, it looks to me like there are numerous deep fractures. Sorry, but in my opinion, that thing is toast - if what I think I see in that pic is really there (the pics are not very clear). "Glass filler" isn't going to help you. Those small fractures can turn into very large cracks and the shattering of the whole pane of glass very quickly. 200 gallons of salt water can do a whole lot of damage to your home, not to mention the cost of the loss of livestock you may have in the tank. Don't mean to be negative, you asked for opinions. I wouldn't set that up in my house. My 2¢ anyway.

Yea I see what you mean but they are all chipped pieces.. I mean I’ve set up chipped tanks before. Idk

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chips are ok if there is cracks thats no bueno. I dont see cracks in the pic but a different angle might show a little better. You also dont want ships to deep but a some chips are fine.

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh you are about 50% of the thickness of the glass it attaches to. Not sure I would run that either. It could possibly hold but thats hoping for a lot

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks different. Might be ok. It's a crap shoot. I don't think anyone can tell you for sure that it is safe to use it that way. Feel lucky? Set it up outside, fill it up and let it sit for a while and see what happens. Personally, if it were mine, I still wouldn't use it. That is a lot of water.

OP
OP
Fin-up reefing

Fin-up reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks different. Might be ok. It's a crap shoot. I don't think anyone can tell you for sure that it is safe to use it that way. Feel lucky? Set it up outside, fill it up and let it sit for a while and see what happens. Personally, if it were mine, I still wouldn't use it. That is a lot of water.

Alrighty, that’s what I planned on doing, I’m still going to have this auto shop company come over tomorrow to see what they can do. I’m also going to brace it just to be safe. Thank you!

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might and to be honest the tank will probably hold like that. if anything I would set it on a flat surface somewhere where if it does break it wont hurt your house like a garage. Fill it and let it sit for a while. Like I said new tanks fail from time to time. So it is hard to say but I dont see no cracks so structurally I dont think the pane will crack the real question is now is there enough strength in the seam to hold and I would think there is but I would test it outside for a month or so before putting it in my house

OP
OP
Fin-up reefing

Fin-up reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might and to be honest the tank will probably hold like that. if anything I would set it on a flat surface somewhere where if it does break it wont hurt your house like a garage. Fill it and let it sit for a while. Like I said new tanks fail from time to time. So it is hard to say but I dont see no cracks so structurally I dont think the pane will crack the real question is now is there enough strength in the seam to hold and I would think there is but I would test it outside for a month or so before putting it in my house

Alright, thank you. That was my plan because I still gotta cycle the water and stuff. Wish me luck haha. I’ll update this in about a month and have results ha ha.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 28.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 20.9%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.3%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 62 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back