Chloramines

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My city uses chloramines to treat the water at a concentration greater than 2ppm. I have a 7 stage rodi with triple di and a chloramine monster pre rodi and still getting breakthrough at less than 20 gallons product. My new tank 70 gallons is all distilled water since it is far cheaper than the cost of continually replacing the filters and it is the best water I can get or produce currently. My question is how do I remove chloramines without having to replace my filters and di after only 20 gallons product water

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your ro/di might just need a up grade . All carbons are not the same . I would chat with him and go over your ro/di with them that is what they do. Let them recommend what is needed . I wouldn't want to lead you down the wrong path. I had several friends just go throught the same issue . They lost plenty .

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your ro/di might just need a up grade . All carbons are not the same . I would chat with him and go over your ro/di with them that is what they do. Let them recommend what is needed . I wouldn't want to lead you down the wrong path. I had several friends just go throught the same issue . They lost plenty .
New reefer bought the rodi unit new with the first tank the 10 gallon eight months ago tried regular and chloramine specific carbon blocks. Just upgraded to a 70 gallon a month ago with all distilled water to fill water change and top off. Still would like to figure out how to remove the chloramines even though I do not use rodi water

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was quite the workout to drag 70 gallons of distilled water back home from Walmart

Seanb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My city uses chloramines to treat the water at a concentration greater than 2ppm. I have a 7 stage rodi with triple di and a chloramine monster pre rodi and still getting breakthrough at less than 20 gallons product. My new tank 70 gallons is all distilled water since it is far cheaper than the cost of continually replacing the filters and it is the best water I can get or produce currently. My question is how do I remove chloramines without having to replace my filters and di after only 20 gallons product water
Why worry about it.
Just dose the new water with prime or safe.
A bottle of safe costs 29 bucks and lasts for years.
I always treat my water no matter what.

Seanb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke to a guy from the filter guys and he told me that rodi units dont remove ammonia , the ro membrane splits the ammonia and chlorine but the ammonia still gets thru or the chlorine cant remember which.
He told me that he thinks its a big reason for unexplained fish deaths and other bad things .

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why worry about it.
Just dose the new water with prime or safe.
A bottle of safe costs 29 bucks and lasts for years.
I always treat my water no matter what.
Those types of products only neutralize chlorine/chloramines for a specific amount of time I think for two days but it does not remove them so you will have to continually dose and imagine having a large tank would add up fast and all those chemicals in the tank surly can’t be good long term. I dosed prime and my corals still looked bad

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke to a guy from the filter guys and he told me that rodi units dont remove ammonia , the ro membrane splits the ammonia and chlorine but the ammonia still gets thru or the chlorine cant remember which.
He told me that he thinks its a big reason for unexplained fish deaths and other bad things .
Yes if your city treats with chloramines test the ammonia level of your product water from your rodi unit

Seanb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those types of products only neutralize chlorine/chloramines for a specific amount of time I think for two days but it does not remove them so you will have to continually dose and imagine having a large tank would add up fast and all those chemicals in the tank surly can’t be good long term. I dosed prime and my corals still looked bad

Seanb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No
Safe breaks the Chloramine bond which lets the chlorine dissapate and the ammonia is neutralized into a safe form that is removed by the biofilter.
A cycled tank removes it fast.
I always cycle tanks with pure ammonia and at the end they remove 5 ppm ammonia in a day.

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No
Safe breaks the Chloramine bond which lets the chlorine dissapate and the ammonia is neutralized into a safe form that is removed by the biofilter.
I always cycle tanks with pure ammonia and at the end they remove 5 ppm ammonia in a day.
Have not tried safe might do some experimentation outside the display

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No
But then again when I think about it if I used a product like that I would in essence be dosing my display tank with a fair amount of ammonia every time I did a water change or topped of the tank

Seanb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But then again when I think about it if I used a product like that I would in essence be dosing my display tank with a fair amount of ammonia every time I did a water change or topped of the tank
[/QUOTEi know and it sucks.
Ive tried the high dollar Chloramine buster cartridges and the work for awhile but like you my community uses high amounts of Chloramine 3-4 ppm, it exhausts them fast.

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it stinks. Right now I only have a 70 gallon tank which I maintain on only distilled water. Which will be a real pain if I get a really big tank. There has to be a solution to this chloramine problem out there for people who city treats the water with large amounts of chloramines

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20 gallons is hyperbole, right?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it stinks. Right now I only have a 70 gallon tank which I maintain on only distilled water. Which will be a real pain if I get a really big tank. There has to be a solution to this chloramine problem out there for people who city treats the water with large amounts of chloramines

Chloramine doesn’t make it harder to reduce tds to zero. The carbon block does the chloramine breakdown.

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chloramine doesn’t make it harder to reduce tds to zero. The carbon block does the chloramine breakdown.
When I test my product water (7 stage rodi with triple di and chloramine monster pre rodi) for ammonia it can read up to 2ppm with filters a month old. When you say that the carbon breaks down the chloramine is it breaking down into a form of ammonia and therefore is that why I am testing positive for ammonia in my rodi product water? Right now the only solution I have come up with is distilled water but want to figure out the rodi problem

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back