Chloroquine phosphate

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be concerned about ammonia spikes while using chloroquine?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After all my research and getting ready I failed to do the most obvious thing. I forgot to remove the carbon from my aquaclear filter in my QT tank. I dosed CP and realized about 10 minutes later so quickly removed the carbon. Is this fast enough or did I really mess up?

That's really tough to say without a spectrophotometer to test your CP level. :eek: Carbon rapidly removes CP. I believe @Reef Fever once said running carbon for 24 hrs completely removes CP from a system. What level did you dose at? 40mg/gal?

Should I be concerned about ammonia spikes while using chloroquine?
Like most meds, CP probably kills off some of the nitrifying bacteria in your QT bio-filter, but the surviving bacteria quickly adapts and resumes propagation. I've never had an issue with ammonia in QT using CP in conjunction with a well seeded sponge.

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one I hear the most about having issues is hippo/regal tangs
So basically all the large tangs (oval shaped)? Like clown, lipstick, etc. The yellow, purple, scopas, etc. (Square shaped) Are fine? also what about tomini?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically all the large tangs (oval shaped)? Like clown, lipstick, etc. The yellow, purple, scopas, etc. (Square shaped) Are fine? also what about tomini?
I don't have any experience with CP I'm going on what I read. I've only seen that melanarus wrasse and hippo may struggle. Sorry I'm not more help

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really tough to say without a spectrophotometer to test your CP level. :eek: Carbon rapidly removes CP. I believe @Reef Fever once said running carbon for 24 hrs completely removes CP from a system. What level did you dose at? 40mg/gal?

Like most meds, CP probably kills off some of the nitrifying bacteria in your QT bio-filter, but the surviving bacteria quickly adapts and resumes propagation. I've never had an issue with ammonia in QT using CP in conjunction with a well seeded sponge.
Yes 40 mg/ml
So mad at myself as I knew to remove it!

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes 40 mg/ml
So mad at myself as I knew to remove it!

I guess in your shoes I would redose @ 40 mg/gal. Most fish are still fine even @ 80 mg/gal. Appetite suppression is the only side effect I've noticed at that level. You can always do a small water change to dilute it if one of your fish stops eating.

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update- Redosed 40 mg/gallon and all is well

Question is the only stuff in my aquaclear is filter floss/sponges that I assume need to be changed, but can I change them and put clean ones in while keeping the healthy good bacteria stable in my tank?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question is the only stuff in my aquaclear is filter floss/sponges that I assume need to be changed, but can I change them and put clean ones in while keeping the healthy good bacteria stable in my tank?

The bulk of the beneficial bacteria lives inside the sponge, not in the water. So, removing the sponge and replacing it with a clean/new sponge would be a bad idea. You would lose your working bio-filter in the process.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does CP make the ammonia badge read false values?

No, just test kits. But there is a trick to viewing the ammonia alert badge: Shine a bright white light either directly over or behind it. ;) It will always appear green in a darkened room.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, just test kits. But there is a trick to viewing the ammonia alert badge: Shine a bright white light either directly over or behind it. ;) It will always appear green in a darkened room.

Think I was the only one with this trick. I found out because of the blue buckets that I use for qt's.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think I was the only one with this trick. I found out because of the blue buckets that I use for qt's.

Homie, you use blue buckets to QT your fish? ;) Petco $ per gal sale, and you won't have to always look above just to see them.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So does this mean my test kit reading could be off?

The presence of CP will cause false positives with standard ammonia test kits. You have to rely solely on the alert badge. And your nose. ;)

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy. So what would be a safe water change amount and schedule?

I only do water changes as needed in QT - when ammonia pops up. Which it almost never does for me; I suppose because I let my sponges seed for at least an entire month in my DT's sump before using them. I will sometimes use airline hose to suck "crap" off the bottom of the tank, but a brine shrimp net works well to scoop out any fish poop/uneaten food.

Back