Chloroquine phosphate

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.. this might sound stupid, but do these gobies survive without food for 10days? Coz when i bought, the lfs fed them, some were eating and some were not.. but there were too many, so cudnt see which were and which were not eating.. i jus bot the biggest fish in the tank. Tummy looked normal when i bought.

Most fish can survive for 2 weeks without food, though it's ideal if they are eating before that. Add some garlic to the food and see if you can get him to eat before making a decision about removing the CP or not.

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, i went to my office (first time on a sunday.. lol) where iv setup my qt, target fed some mysis and a mix of lobster eggs, cyclops and rotifers.. i dont know wether it consumed or no, coz it was hiding in the pvc pipe.. however here are some pics and a video of it..

3ffcd453b26491038c652a53d91bad6a.jpg

acbdc8bd12d82599e78a6f1936e6157c.jpg

9c1a4dec7eb57f683bf872ccfcaa0313.jpg

Silkyslim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try covering a side of the qt. it gives them a added sense of security. I've qt a pair of yw gobies with no prob. Good luck

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like he is eating to me (from the video); sometimes it just takes a new fish a few days to get comfortable in their new surroundings.

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like he is eating to me (from the video); sometimes it just takes a new fish a few days to get comfortable in their new surroundings.
Kool.. Well it wud only roam around.. dint see it consume anything... tomorow im gona mix some garlic juice with pellets (hikari marine s) and try feeding it.. i also have nls thera A and nls algae max.. lets see.. today i also added 1 cp tablet that was left.. takes a lot of time dissolving it..

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dipped thera a and algaemax in fresh garlic juice, and tried feeding it.. yet its not eating.. however it keeps roaming around in the same manner like the video.. confused..

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone heard of Dr. G's Anti-Parasitic Rx Frozen medicated food? It's active ingredient is listed as Chloroquine phosphate. Which seems to be the preferred QT treatment for @Humblefish based on writeups on this thread and others.

dr-g-anti-parasiticRX.JPG

Here's a link:
https://premiumaquatics.com/product...n-35-oz.html?gclid=CIer2Pfg6s0CFQMQaQodjBIAQQ

The reason:
I have two Occelaris Onyx clowns in a 10gallon QT. I've treated so far only with API's General Cure but my larger clown does not seem to be eating, has the stringy white poop and appears to be breathing hard -- after about a week I decided to do a RO/DI Freshwater bath for 5 minutes to see if anything falls off. She seemed perfectly fine in the bath. I put her back into the QT but this time placed her in a large hatchery enclosure so I could watch her away from the other clown and try to feed her individually --- i tried mysis soaked in Selcon and some Rod's food soaked in Doc's Eco Egg Brew as well as a mixture of Brine fattened with spiralina along with some garlic --- note that I'm feeding a tiny amount of each individually with chopsticks and letting it sit with her. Trying to see what she might eat. But nothing. The other fish was gobbling everything up.

Earlier in the week I was using Metroplex soaked Rod's Food and Sustainable Aquatics Hathery Diet pellets into a concoction with seachem focus to bind the meds -- I froze and broke pieces to feed. Again, the smaller clown ate heartily. Anyways, I'm just worried. I just came across this Dr. G medicated food on premiumaquatics.com. She is definitely hiding in the pvc pipe and appears lethargic. I went to an LFS near me to observe their clowns. She definitely is not breathing as hard as one of the clowns in the store.

I'm waiting another week to start a cupramine treatment but I'm worried about her condition to go through it. So is this Dr. G thing something to consider? If so, how would I even use it? And is it leaching out into the water for ich..I'm assuming it needs to get into the gills. Or is this a gimmick.

I appreciate the response.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@isaacalves The problem with CP laced food is even if it works as advertised, you are only treating the parasites on the fish. Most parasites live the majority of their life cycle off fish, and all it takes is one theront to successfully attach, feed and drop off for that life cycle to continue. So, while CP laced food may (or may not) be an effective parasite management tool; I highly doubt it is capable of 100% eradication.

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got 4 juv clowns that has mild ick and mild fungus, especially for experimenting. Can cp be mixed with furan 2 and kanamycin? I also have bought 1oz of prazipro.

Will this work?
Cp with furan2 and kana
Furan 2 and kana added every 48hrs for 10days
Cp tablets for 30days

Then mero and prazipro mixed.

Will be dosed according to @Humblefish recomendation.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got 4 juv clowns that has mild ick and mild fungus, especially for experimenting. Can cp be mixed with furan 2 and kanamycin? I also have bought 1oz of prazipro.

Will this work?
Cp with furan2 and kana
Furan 2 and kana added every 48hrs for 10days
Cp tablets for 30days

Then mero and prazipro mixed.

Will be dosed according to @Humblefish recomendation.

What is the point of your experiment? To see if these things can be combined? I dont like advising people to combine meds because they can have a reaction that results in a bacterial bloom - this doesn't always happen, but when it does it can be devastating.

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the point of your experiment? To see if these things can be combined? I dont like advising people to combine meds because they can have a reaction that results in a bacterial bloom - this doesn't always happen, but when it does it can be devastating.
Well i was jus asking, actually my friend had them, he was gona keep them without treating them, he already had 2 tangs dead in the tank. So i got them, its got ick and fungus. So should i first treat fungus and then ick or both? or which is the best method? So i posted here.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dr gs anti parasitic works well as long as you feed 1-2 x per day in small feedings to be sure it's all eaten up. You break off a very small piece and do not pre thaw it just hold it in the tank water to do so. You must feed for a couple weeks past the parasites life cycle so that the new ones starve and die. Again be sure not to over feed as you do NOT want any of it actually laying on your corals. If it does be sure to blow it off.

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We use 1g per 20g. 500mg/10g. ,the goby came through fine and is living well in the DT , I'm picking up a Kole tang in 2 days and would like confirmation that it will be ok with cp? The Toby wrasse & clown are fine also. Thanks

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We use 1g per 20g. 500mg/10g. ,the goby came through fine and is living well in the DT , I'm picking up a Kole tang in 2 days and would like confirmation that it will be ok with cp? The Toby wrasse & clown are fine also. Thanks

Yes on all three... though I'm assuming you meant a toby puffer?

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of getting a yellow assessor tomorrow, are they ok in cp?

Back