OP
OP
L

liaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I’ve had a chocolate chip a while back and the orange stuff appear to be the stomach. You do know starfish expel their stomachs to eat. They dissolve their food outside their bodies and then sorta mop up the food into them. When I had mine it was to harvest limbs for a harlequin shrimp.
Only big difference from your pic was the stomachs usually stick to the surface it’s on.Not just hang out. When you moved him it should retracted his stomach.
They should be feed meaty foods for sure. And if you don’t plan on having corals totally safe to keep these guys are easy to keep.
It did not retract and it breaks off through out the tank.... I read somewhere it’s him getting rid of damaged suckers and they do this when they didn’t get enough nutrients.. and won’t survive...

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!

I honestly thought that Choco Star fish were only sold to the trade as Harlequin shrimp food. The few I kept, I kept in the sump/refugium and would cut off limbs to feed to my Harlequin Shrimp since that is their only source of food

OP
OP
L

liaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 0F77E0F3-32A2-499C-8D95-BB27E5A3A163.jpeg
    0F77E0F3-32A2-499C-8D95-BB27E5A3A163.jpeg
    185.4 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
L

liaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have had my chocolate chip star fish for about a week and he has been super active up until the past 2 days and I noticed he has this orange stuff hanging out of him
Now the lady at the pet store I got him from said I don’t have to feed him anything special he will just sift through the sand and eat algae off the glass then I researched he is a meat eater so I went and got him clams
Does he have a chance at surviving ?
water parameters are great and the temp is great and salinity is perfect
Update he did not make it through the night..... found him this morning upside down and shriveled up together

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back