Choose ... Your ... POWERHEAD!!!

ErinD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like power head shopping is turning into a dating-game like show. Each has their own sets of pros and cons, but I can't seem to find the "perfect" match.
I run 2 eflux mid-ranges on my mixed reef, but need something a little lighter for a seahorse setup. Of all the reviews and lists I read, there are very few that list the current USA eflux's, but I've had nothing but luck with them - I've checked out the Aqamai, which seems like a cool set up, and of course there's always the MP10, but is there something "wrong" with Current USA's eflux or are they just not on the top of anyone's list?
Anyone have any other suggestions for a low force powehead that's controllable? (controller, wifi or BT is fine).

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are working I wouldn't touch a thing. Just because some influencer isn't pushing it hard doesnt mean much. You can't trust hardly any reviews anymore.

Im probably not a good person to ask. I like more bang your buck equipment & I don't care for sps. My personal preference is tunze

OP
OP
ErinD

ErinD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are working I wouldn't touch a thing. Just because some influencer isn't pushing it hard doesnt mean much. You can't trust hardly any reviews anymore.

Im probably not a good person to ask. I like more bang your buck equipment & I don't care for sps. My personal preference is tunze
My feeling is that for the cost of 2 accessory 660's (I have hubs because I upgraded to BT on my eflux's), I get 1 tunze. or 1.5 aqamai... or half a MP10... I'm just trying to not make a mistake, I guess.

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't the 1K discontinued?
Lol indeed it is now that I look for one. I only got mine a year ago at most. Didn't think they would abruptly discontinue it but here we are. It's too bad because it's a perfectly good gyre. Hopefully there is something similar out there but I wouldn't know exactly what that would be.

ChuckTownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stay away from the jebao gyres you can get good name brands used for around $100. I got a icecape 1k with controller as an open box off ebay for $60. just have to keep an eye out for what you want.

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
ErinD

ErinD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you get a gyre. Powerheads are wack if you ask me. They just blow straight forward. The gyre gets the entire tank's water going at the same time. Far superior stuff if you ask me.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My feeling is that for the cost of 2 accessory 660's (I have hubs because I upgraded to BT on my eflux's), I get 1 tunze. or 1.5 aqamai... or half a MP10... I'm just trying to not make a mistake, I guess.

I dont know how long you've had them, but if you're having success with them I'd continue that route. Your kind of vested with the loop system unless you sell then you start over.

Tunze is just my personal preference, because of the good build quality. I haven't owned eflux's, but the reviews are jebao-ish 50/50.

ChuckTownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try to find a deal on a used icecap gyre controller then just by the 2k pump new.. I pretty sure they are cross compatible. but not completely sure.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nero 5’s are on sale right now! And there is a Nero 3 coming out very soon. I have 2 Nero’s and they will seriously move some water!! The maintenance is literally once a month if that and takes 5 min.

OP
OP
ErinD

ErinD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nero 5’s are on sale right now! And there is a Nero 3 coming out very soon. I have 2 Nero’s and they will seriously move some water!! The maintenance is literally once a month if that and takes 5 min.
I thought Nero's were getting a bad rap lately for livestock getting chopped up? I love the look, but was just a little hesitant.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought Nero's were getting a bad rap lately for livestock getting chopped up? I love the look, but was just a little hesitant.
Yea they will suck up a weak smaller fish for sure. Lost a fire fish that way but it had been getting bullied by clown all day. I have 3 more that are fine. You can get guards printed now

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back