Choosing between Derasa and Squamosa

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 3 year old 55 gallon mixed reef tank. Trying to pick between a Derasa clam, or a Squamosa clam. I tried the Maxima clams, but the two I tried didn't last a week. Any words of wisdom? I have Kessil LEDs. Thanks! [emoji16]

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have maxima. How did you acclimate them to light? They are very sensitive and I would take no less then 2 weeks light acclimating

OP
OP
GoPitt88

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have maxima. How did you acclimate them to light? They are very sensitive and I would take no less then 2 weeks light acclimating

I drip acclimated for about an hour, then placed the clam on the bottom. Each time I tried, they both looked good for a couple days, then all of a sudden, would be curled up inside with a ton of pods.

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is most likley a key issue here. Clams are very light senesnsitive and even small changes in the light intensity and patterns isn’t good. I am not an expert or even that proficient at keeping clams, but I have killed about 4 clams strictly due to the fact that I didn’t light acclimate.

OP
OP
GoPitt88

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is most likley a key issue here. Clams are very light senesnsitive and even small changes in the light intensity and patterns isn’t good. I am not an expert or even that proficient at keeping clams, but I have killed about 4 clams strictly due to the fact that I didn’t light acclimate.

Can you advise on best way to light acclimate?

OP
OP
GoPitt88

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a Kessil, I can easily adjust the intensity, so I'm assuming I should slowly ramp the intensity up over the course of a week or two?

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With clams, I would ramp up 2% a day, starting at 10% with the clam 18” or more below the light. If it is above 18” below, start at 5%. Do this until you reach your desired light settings

OP
OP
GoPitt88

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With clams, I would ramp up 2% a day, starting at 10% with the clam 18” or more below the light. If it is above 18” below, start at 5%. Do this until you reach your desired light settings

Thanks! [emoji16]

OP
OP
GoPitt88

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I'm back to thinking I should try a Maxima or Crocea again due to their size. Ugh! I'm so confused [emoji853]

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first ever clam was a crocea. It was already full grown at 6" when I got it. I loved that thing for over 9 years. Died, but I think it was a natural death. Instead of taking an instant, it took weeks. No signs of disease either.

If you have good lights and flow, a crocea will be fine. Just make sure it is 4" or more, you have very stable parameters and calcium is available for it.

OP
OP
GoPitt88

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first ever clam was a crocea. It was already full grown at 6" when I got it. I loved that thing for over 9 years. Died, but I think it was a natural death. Instead of taking an instant, it took weeks. No signs of disease either.

If you have good lights and flow, a crocea will be fine. Just make sure it is 4" or more, you have very stable parameters and calcium is available for it.

Where did you buy yours? Online, or LFS?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back